Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herby Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Grapes & Shallots

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Found this recipe a couple of days ago and grilled it last night. Quite tasty and I'll do it again. Chicken, grapes and shallots are a good combination. Marinated in Greek yogurt, rosemary, thyme and garlic for the chicken and balsamic and honey for the shallots.

I was going for some char on the chicken, but by the time I got some, the chicken was a bit dry. I cooked it at 400° raised direct. Maybe next time I'l increase the temp, or more likely, I just won't raise the grid and pay closer attention to the meat temp. Also, I'll use wooden skewers instead of the stainless ones (the ones with the baked on chicken goop). 

The first pic is just to prove that I actually egged it. :) It was pitch black out there and the only light I had was my flashlight. That and a cell phone gets you this awful pic...

This pic, taken inside, is a bit better, but it still doesn't look as good as it tasted.

Recipe is here, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks good. Why wooden over stainless? I ask because I was considering buying some skewers.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Very nice, thanks for the link - will try this one. SWMBO loves chicken souvlaki, this looks similar with a nice twist. I've never done grapes, that looks very interesting. I have done kabobs with sweet onion and peppers on the stick just to get away from the traditional souvlaki, looks like supper this week might be chicken kabobs with grapes and shallots! Thanks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Looks good. Why wooden over stainless? I ask because I was considering buying some skewers.

Because the wooden ones are cheap and you can toss them instead of scrubbing the burned on crud off. That said, you would have to use two of the wooden skewers to be able to flip things. My SS ones are flat and stuff doesn't spin around (much).

But what do I know? I haven't used these or any other skewers in a good 15 years, maybe longer.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @carolina q - I cook kabobs at the regular grid height on Cast iron. Give it a good char but you have to keep an eye on them and turn a couple times. 

@theyolkonyou - I like using wooden because they are disposable and they dont get any way near as hot as the metal. I have really nice metal ones that now sit in the drawer once o began using the wood. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We've always used the wooden. Just seemed like a pain to soak etc and when I don't soak the have tened to get burned up pretty badly on the ends. That said, only used them once on the egg.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    We've always used the wooden. Just seemed like a pain to soak etc and when I don't soak the have tened to get burned up pretty badly on the ends. That said, only used them once on the egg.
    You still have to soak them to help putting the food on the stick, much easier. Tip to keep them from burning is to lay a piece of foil on the grid where the exposed end of the skewer is. No char. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gator_egger
    Options
    Superb Michael =P~
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Skiddy, hope you guys enjoy this. I thought it was delicious. If a bit dry. :)

GATABITES, that's for the tip. I'll drop 'em down next time. And you are sure right about how hot those metal skewers get! I was able to flip with tongs.

Thanks, gator-egger. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut