Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Pork Ribs

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
Never knew that a BGE could suck so much ... it's sucked all the food in the house right out.  Had to go to the store to get something to cook and saw some Country Style pork ribs that were crying to go home with us.

Simple cook ... boiled for an hour, slathered with Red Mud bbq sauce, cooked in the BGE (direct at the felt line with dome temp at 400 degrees) for 10 minutes per side.  It's something we've done on the gasser quite often.  Simple but good tasting ... the BGE added to the taste.

Here's the proof:

BTW ... Red Mud is made in the panhandle of Texas ... put the Red River Steakhouse on your places to visit if you're going through that area.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The grub looks wonderful my friend. If I may sir, skip the boiling. Cook them from start to finish on the egg. Just trust me on this one.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    SGH said:
    The grub looks wonderful my friend. If I may sir, skip the boiling. Cook them from start to finish on the egg. Just trust me on this one.

+1 love country style ribs on the egg
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Your ribs look very tasty but trust the above statements, unless you just the the texture you get from boiling. I did my first country style ribs this week. 325 increasing to 425 over the cook and they were spot on for me. Not knocking you cook by any means just offering a different way to get there.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did my first rack last weekend.  I didn't post on here because I forgot to take pics.  Regardless, I went indirect at 300 for about 5 hours.  I never wrapped, just spritzed with apple juice every so often.  Put the sauce on for the last 30minutes and raised the temp to around 400.  Ours turned out really good.

Oh by the way, I used mayo instead of mustard after reading a view threads on this site.  Mustard has it's place, but the family preferred mayo.  I tried mayo on some chicken breasts instead of doing a quick brine.  Pulled them at 160, they were very moist, but not as moist as when I brine IMO.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SGH said:
    ... If I may sir, skip the boiling. Cook them from start to finish on the egg. Just trust me on this one.
    @SGH ... no problems on the trust ... just be kind enough to point me towards a recipe for the Country Style ribs ... both pork and beef.

While you're here, let me say thanks for sharing your knowledge.  One small sentence you posted was especially enlightening. 

If one researches spatchcock chicken recipes, they'll find temps from 250 to 500 degrees ... cooked indirect, direct and raised direct ... brinded and unbrinded ... rubbed and sprinkled with more different stuff than a big box store can stock.  Extremely frustrating for an analytical leaning individual.  You made a comment that freed me from the morass - can't find the darn posting ... the search engine is a little short on functionality here.  Essentially you said to not worry about all the different recipes, just cook to the correct internal temp and the chicken will be good. Most of the messing around is simply to get a golden-brown crispy skin.

So again thanks ... now about that rib recipe ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    A lot of people cook country ribs until they are just done at an internal temperature of 160 and they will be tough or chewy, try leaving them on until the IT is closer to 200 and the connective tissue breaks down like you would a Pork Butt and they will be tender after all country ribs are just a pork butt cut into ribs. I do them Indirect at 250 - 275 until done.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    In pork, some country style ribs are shoulder "butt" ribs. Those cook to 190-205 to render fat and connective tissue. Some are from the loin. Those will be dry and tough at high temp. Pull those 150-160. Same philosophy. Cook however you want to as far as set up/time, just hit the temp.