Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite cut of steak

Options
What's your favorite cut of steak? I love a good prime ribeye from a steak house. Craving it and going out for one in a few weeks.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    That's a hard one to answer. I've had really good prime rib, but sometimes the amount of fat puts me off. I've never had a steak that is all spinalis dorsi, the rib-eye cap muscle. That's supposed to be the best of the rib eye section.

I do recall a really good fillet mignon, but that was because it had been perfectly crusted in pepper and seared. Otherwise, they're too bland for me.

Tri-tip started showing up at a few butchers near me in the last year. I was surprised how much I liked it. A very good balance between tenderness and taste.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A good NY strip cooked medium rare tops the charts for me. A filet with steak Diane sauce is second. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Cowboy ribeye with Mickey's rub or DP Raising the Steak, reverse seared!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I love it all but a prime bone in ribeye is my favorite!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bone-in ribeye or porterhouse.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

BIG COWBOY RIBEYE!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    New York Strip all the way! I also love Tri-tip, but I will argue that it's more of a roast and not really a steak...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    NY STRIP . . hell give me the potterhouse so I can get the strip & filet !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    It's a mood thing for me, and I'm always in the mood for a good ribeye.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I am in the ribeye camp (just salt and pepper for me) and my better half likes the filet mignon, it is tender but with so little fat it also has very little flavour in my opinion.  I really enjoy a steak once in a while but if push comes to shove I really prefer pork over beef.

Gerhard
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ribeye w/ a soy marinade
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That's like asking which kid do I love the most. But if I was on death row and had one more meal it'd be a nice filet seared perfectly with a little crust and a cool red center. Saw the horns off, wipe it's butt and put it on the plate...almost. I'd probably ask for some carmalized onions and shrooms as well. Oh yeah, and a really nice single barrel bourbon. But the guard might scoff at the bourbon.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I used to be a filet mignon guy, but I have turned into a ribeye guy as of the last 10 yrs or so.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sirloin flap or hanger for me. Beefy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EgginATL42
    Options
    Ribeye all the way. Rubbed with SPGC (salt, pepper, garlic, coffee).
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    New York Strip all the way! I also love Tri-tip, but I will argue that it's more of a roast and not really a steak...

Cheers -
    B_B
    From what I've read, the tri-tip is used as a steak by cutting  cross wise sections, and rolling those into a sort of oval. I agree that calling it a steak is a loose use of the word, sort of like flat iron steak, or chuck eye steak.

But isn't a bone in rib eye steak just a part of a standing rib roast?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So many different kinds and cuts of steak and so little time. That's like asking who's your favorite child? Not to much I don't like.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Rib steak and flat iron. In that order.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options

Prime Ribeye cut in "Tomahauk" style for optimum presentation. Reverse sear, of course.

Thought I did not really care for Fillet Mignon most of my life. Always preferred Strip or Ribeye. That is until our local steak house had a bone in fillet on special one night. That was outstanding as well.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I like a thick cut well marbled RibEye or Porterhouse with S&P.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    Rib eye, or the harder to find chuck eye.
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

It's funny how things are different place to place. Eye of chuck has always been very available down our way.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

Just bought a bunch of ChuckEyes and vacuum saved. They are awesome also!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Ribeyes
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    At steakhouses, if they have it, I order Prime Rib, because I don't make those myself.  Too much meat as I don't have a large family to help me devour it one meal.

At home, sometimes I like the buttery tenderness of a Filet Mignon, sometimes I want a New York, other times I'll go with a RibEye.

At restaurants that don't serve prime rib, quite often my choice of steak will be based upon the sides or sauces they pair up with it on the menu.  (e.g. I hate blue cheese, so if the steak is blue cheese crusted, I won't order it)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Can't beat a cowboy ribeye on egg 3" thick
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Cheers -
    B_B

This all the way here (including my wife and daughter). In fact, here they are gnawing the ends of a bone-in Ny strip:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options

Love the flank steak.  Eat more of those than anything.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Any steak so long as it is USDA prime.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Ribeye or Porterhouse but sometimes it's just a Flat iron that fits the budget. I do have a question, I have not been on the forum for awhile and see the reverse sear posts I am curious how that would work for a well done steak. My dad likes it well so iI have always cooked at high temps, sear it and then shut down the air to finish the cook, always being midfull of the burp when checking temps. Anyone tried well done yet?