Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to remove hot/greasy platesetter?

Options
2»

Comments

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to ask this question but where do you find fire bricks? Does Lowes/Menards/Home Depot carry them?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @dihtn I couldn't find at the big boxes HD, Lowes but ordered 6 from Ace for $20 delivered free to my local store.
  • dihtn
    Options

@dihtn I couldn't find at the big boxes HD, Lowes but ordered 6 from Ace for $20 delivered free to my local store.

Thanks.

• dihtn
    Options
    Ace had them 20% off so got for $17 including tax.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    good on you! I use them a lot.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    dihtn said:
    I'm embarrassed to ask this question but where do you find fire bricks? Does Lowes/Menards/Home Depot carry them?

Menards...$10 for a box of 6
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well the closest Menards to me is 238 miles so I probably saved some gas money.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    I like the Woo. The plate setter fits perfect inside of it and is well supported. Lifting is easily accomplished by the built in handles. A great thing about the Woo also is that it can be used alone to raise your grid to gasket level and its a very stable platform as well. Now that I have a Woo, 95% or more of my direct cooks are at gasket level instead of at fire ring level. For about 30 bucks the Woo is about as good of a investment that someone with a plate setter can make. It makes removing the plate setter a breeze, it can be used for raising the grid to gasket level and it will easily last a life time. I highly recommend the Woo to anyone with a plate setter. Even if you don't have a plate setter the ability to raise a full size grid to gasket level on a very stable platform more than justifys the 30 dollar investment.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

PLATESETTER!!!!

Weee don't need no stinking plate setter

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I was a welding glove guy, but if you have a large, the CLAW is awesome! I think they only make the large, maybe works on a medium. Great and simple tool. I still use the welding gloves for various tasks. Welding gloves are also a must for kamado cookers.