Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered a woo! Now to learn to smoke...

Options

I just ordered a woo from the ceramic grill store (medium with handles) and the drip pan. Unfortunately, they were out of stones, so I will have to get that elsewhere. Want to try to smoke some turkey for T-day.

Is there a good tutorial on that somewhere? I hadn't used my egg in awhile (travelling, etc) and now getting back into learning... :)

Comments

• NervousDad
    Options
    Congrats it's a great upgrade!
    Aurora,OH
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome back! Good luck on your smoking adventure
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It just depends on how you want to do it. do you want true smoked turkey or do you want a smoky turkey? I usually do the smoky turkey (just add some wood chunks to a normal 350 degree cook) but this year I'm doing a true smoked turkey which is brined 48 hrs and slow smoked at 200-250. That is more like the Turkey legs you see with dark skin and pink meat at state fairs etc. 

The smoky turkey looks and tastes more like a traditional roasted turkey (regular white and dark meat, lighter skin etc)

Both are pretty simple. Glad to help with either whenever you are ready

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    I just want a smokey turkey to start. So just do wood at 350. Should I still do indirect? And it takes around 15min per lb?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited November 2014
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

looks exhausting but its basically stuff with aromatics and roast at 325.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do a chunk of apple wood at 350 indirect. 15-20 per lb. There are a million other tricks and tips but this is the basic plan and it works like a champ. I do salt and pepper and that's it. super easy and just watch the temp in the thigh and pull it around 175 to let it rest.

If you want a darker skin, you can use cherry.

I don't baste or anything. it will be very juicy, and flavorful and have a great smoke flavor over traditional turkey texture, color and taste.

No need to overdo the smoke- turkey takes it very well. One nice sized chunk (tennis ball size or so) will do it.

• TifffanyD
    Options

fishlessman - Thanks! That has some good tips (like the ice). I will try that but may not follow the full plan for my first try :)

Cen-Tex - Thanks also! So 350 indirect at 15-20 mins per pound... that's exactly the info I need!

In the case that I only do a breast (it's just for 2 people - lol)... I'm assuming this will still work out? :)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Some folks spatchcock turkeys. Much quicker. That's the only way I do chickens these days. Tough to stuff it with aromatics though. :) I rarely use any smoke wood with the chickens. The lump adds enough smoke for my taste. I would suggest going easy with smoke wood on poultry. 

I've never done a whole turkey, not in an egg anyway. I've done Max's turkey in Mom's oven (she has no egg) and it was delicious! I still want to do that on the egg though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TifffanyD said:

fishlessman - Thanks! That has some good tips (like the ice). I will try that but may not follow the full plan for my first try :)

Cen-Tex - Thanks also! So 350 indirect at 15-20 mins per pound... that's exactly the info I need!

In the case that I only do a breast (it's just for 2 people - lol)... I'm assuming this will still work out? :)

I do the ice but didn't want to complicate it. Not sure how much difference it makes but I usually do it.. This makes a really good, simple bird with a reliable simple process. Like I said, there are hundreds of ways to do it so take all the tips you are comfortable with and integrate them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It will work on a breast. Pull it at 165 to rest if you are doing breast only and obviously no need for the ice if you are doing breast only. Smoked (or smoky) trukey breast is awesome on the egg. One of my faves.

• TifffanyD
    Options
    Sweet! Can't wait to start! I wonder how long it will take the woo from the Ceramic grill store to come. I also need to get a stone since they were out
  • DoctorMojo
    Options
    I understand a couple of firebrick works well so I picked up a couple for my MBGE at Tractor Supply but I bet you could find them at most hardware stores. (Got the Idea from CGS site)  I just haven't ordered my Woo yet.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
    Sweet! Can't wait to start! I wonder how long it will take the woo from the Ceramic grill store to come. I also need to get a stone since they were out
    He's usually really fast if he has them in stock. Mine was here in less than 24 hrs but I live 4 hrs away from him. If he's not backed up with holiday orders already and confirmed it was in stock, it will be there quickly. I really like the BGE stones. I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's still perfect. done tons of pizzas and high temp cooks and it's still like new. If Tom is out of his, I would look at BGE if you have  dealer nearby

• TifffanyD
    Options
    You would buy a BGE one just for using as the indirect barrier? Or would I save that one for the actual pizza stone?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2014
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
    You would buy a BGE one just for using as the indirect barrier? Or would I save that one for the actual pizza stone

You would eventually need 2 good stones to do pizza but the stone on the bottom takes the biggest beating. I use Tom's Oval stone for that most of the time (I have a BGE medium stone I use for another setup) and the BGE large pizza stone for cooking pies on. setups can get confusing but the woo is cool and pretty simple once you see it all  
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I did Breasts the last two years and used peach for smoke last year... Really good color and flavor
  • TifffanyD
    Options

Peach - interesting!

I know I have 2 bags of wood chips at home - I will have to see what I have...

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
     The Cen-Tex Smoker so what the brine like for the smoked turkey?  
  • MRCBGE
    Options
    Ok, Have to ask. What is a woo and an AR???
  • MRCBGE
    Options
    Last Cook. Whole Chicken and a load of wings.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @MRCBGE - Check out the website 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Congrats on the woo, it is the only good attachment for the medium available. You will want the stone soon, I bought a 13" pizza stone for 13 bucks at home depot, made by Brinkmann, you could supplement that but it would only leave 2 inches at the edge, the 10 inch stone allows more airflow, the medium egg is 15 inch dia. Happy egging!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I understand a couple of firebrick works well so I picked up a couple for my MBGE at Tractor Supply but I bet you could find them at most hardware stores. (Got the Idea from CGS site)  I just haven't ordered my Woo yet.
    They don't have to be firebricks. Any bricks will do. They fire regular bricks at temps far higher than any temp your egg will reach. If you use bricks though, be careful not to knock one off the top of the fire ring. Be a shame to break the fire box.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TifffanyD
    Options
    anton said:
    Congrats on the woo, it is the only good attachment for the medium available. You will want the stone soon, I bought a 13" pizza stone for 13 bucks at home depot, made by Brinkmann, you could supplement that but it would only leave 2 inches at the edge, the 10 inch stone allows more airflow, the medium egg is 15 inch dia. Happy egging!

Good tip! Do I want more airflow or less? lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yogi84 said:
     The Cen-Tex Smoker so what the brine like for the smoked turkey?  
       Herb Brined Turkey or Chicken:

1 Gallon (4 liters) Water

1 Cup (225 Grams)  Kosher Salt

1/2 Cup (125 grams) Sugar

1.5 oz pink salt

(this is all you need but I sometimes add the following):

1 bunch of fresh Tarragon

1 bunch of Fresh Parsley

2 bay leaves

1 head of Garlic- Halved Horizontally

1 Onion- sliced

3tbsp/30 grams black pepper- lightly crushed

2 lemons- Halved (give a good squeeze as you toss then in)

Should be noted that any aromatic can be thrown in - Celery, Carrot, garlic, any herbs (stems are fine) are all good and the more the merrier.

combine all brine ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve all salts and sugars. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. then put in fridge until chilled.

Add bird to the brine and weight it down with a plate or something that will keep the whole thing completely submerged for the appropriate brine time (see below).

Remove from brine, pat dry and let rest uncovered in the fridge for 2-24 hours. This is important as it forms the "pellicle" (tacky surface) that binds to the smoke flavor)

Brine Times:

Boneless Chicken Breast (8oz/225 grams): 2 hrs

2lb chicken (1 Kilo) 4-6 hours

3-4lb chicken (1.5-2 kilos) 8-12 hours

Boneless Turkey Breast (4 inches/10cm thick) 12-18 hours

10-15lb Turkey (4-7 Kilo) 24 hours

Turkey over 15lb/7 kilos: 24-36 hours

Should be noted that the book I use (Charcuterie) says 48 hrs on this brine for a whole turkey where his website says 24-36 hrs. I tend to err on the short side with him as his brines are really salty. I would do the 36 hrs and see how that does for you.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    MRCBGE said:

Adjustable Rig

think of a cone where it's cut off about midway from the base to the tip, and hollow out everything in between so it's basically two circles braced together with rack holding capabilities at multiple levels in between.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    MRCBGE said:

Adjustable Rig

think of a cone where it's cut off about midway from the base to the tip, and hollow out everything in between so it's basically two circles braced together with rack holding capabilities at multiple levels in between.

or, if you are like me and need pretty pictures:

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    more rig:

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @TifffanyD, you will want the 10" stone as soon as you can get one, the 13" I don't use as an everyday indirect stone, it is for pizza, but it would get you by for awhile.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @TiffanyD - As an alternative, I would highly recommend the BGE Medium Plate Setter.  While this may be considered heresy by some, the PS is actually a very useful accessory for the Medium.  And my recollection is that it wasn't too expensive.  The size is just right for allowing good airflow, and it's configuration allows flexible indirect cooking.  For other size Eggs, the PS is not the best alternative, but for the medium it rocks!!  I started out by purchasing the BGE 12" round ceramic stone.  While it may be ok for making pizza, it is too big to be an effective indirect piece.  The 10" round stone would work, but is a little small.  PS is just right. 
    Santa Paula, CA