Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Made RRP's Ribs With Mayo

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Here's what I wrote Ron: 

"They are FANTASTIC! Crunchy on the outside, melting on the inside. I didn’t give one second’s thought to using sauce!

The "before" picture was like frosting a cake. 

There is a healthy foods store that has the meatiest baby backs (hormone-free meat) I have ever seen. You can see how thick they are. I used Best Foods mayo, known as Hellman’s in someplaces. I’ll try Miracle Whip next time. Two hours on the dot at 330° (I really did it!), and 200° IT in the meaty part." 

Thanks to Carolina Q for helping me learn to post pictures. I figured out how to delete thumbnails after all.

imageimage
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Your pictures aren't working for me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stick with Best Foods/Hellmans. There is a reason they are one of the top rated and miracle whip is at the bottom.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Miracle whip is too sweet.  Stick with Hellman's or try Duke's (my favorite).
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Judy, I had to laugh when I saw "healthy foods store" in the same sentence as "babybacks". Good one. 

:D

Next time, mouse over the thumbnail and click Insert. Then click Delete. That will add a large pic to your post and get rid of the thumb.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Michael: I can't put the mouse over the thumbnail and click on Insert at the same time. When I click on Insert I get 

Enter URL:
    http://

Where do I get that from?

Kindergarten here.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    When you choose a file and then mouse over the pic, you should see Insert Image and Delete. Click Insert Image and the full size image will appear in your post. Then click Delete and the thump goes away. I have never seen Enter URL. How could you flunk kindergarten? ;)

Just did as I described and got this.image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks, Michael. Now tell me how to get rid of the thumbnails. (I tried.)

FYI, when I "graduated" kindergarten we had mortar board hats and white robes!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice Judy. I am going to try Dukes next time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great, Judy and x100 Try Duke's. I switched over years ago and won't go back. My wife always gets the same name brands for certain things. She was not happy that I got Duke's until she tried it and now she won't let me buy anything else, not that I would.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Awesome looking ribs !!!!! I will have to look for Duke's.  I've only heard of it on here since the mayo/rib thread RRP posted about them recently.

Thanks for posting,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Judy,
    I'm so glad you liked them! Also I was happy to see you had the same results of a slight crusty exterior and tender moist meat under it. I was the same way there was no need to mask over the taste by using some bbq sauce. Let the ribs shine!!! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I stock up on Duke's when I visit SC. I doesn't really exist up where I am so you may not see it where you live.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I stock up on Duke's when I visit SC. I doesn't really exist up where I am so you may not see it where you live.
    No need to go that far. I have bought it in Fredericksburg VA. Don't know about NVa. Frankly, I don't really notice much difference.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What rub did you put on them?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Reminds me of parents putting mayo on brocoli....
    Just makes me shiver.
    Seattle, WA
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @thtrim: I used Dizzy Pig Raging River rub.

@SkinnyV: Funny you should mention that. I recently started putting Kroger Poppyseed Dressing on my broccoli. Its sweet and tangy and makes the veg a lot more interesting.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    When I was a kid, we used to dip our bacon in mayo.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    bodski said:

When I was a kid, we used to dip our bacon in mayo.

Still eat bacon mayo sammichs
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    No need to go that far. I have bought it in Fredericksburg VA. Don't know about NVa. Frankly, I don't really notice much difference.
    Bite your tongue mister!  :)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm a fan of real mayo also. I'm really not to crazy about Miracle Whip. I've used mayo instead of butter on grill cheese. Works good. I guess ribs are next.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I think I will give this mayo/ribs combo a shot this weekend, I have coated fish and chicken breasts with mayo for years before cooking with great results.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Bite your tongue mister!  :)
    But then the mayo would taste like blood!

If I sampled Duke's vs Hellman's (just a taste of each), I might notice a difference. Never bothered so I don't know that though. But if I mixed up some potato or chicken salad, or slapped some on a burger, I doubt I would notice. 

I bought a couple of jars of Duke's on a trip south a year or two ago. From recommendations on here, not from any childhood memories. I'll probably buy more next trip. If I remember. But really, Hellman's is just fine. Especially since I don't eat it often or in any large quantity anyway.

As for ribs, they're right up there with bacon on the list of foods I almost never eat. Found a rack of babybacks in the freezer about 6 months ago so I smoked it. Before that? A year? Two? Dunno. 
    :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut