Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Fat 40 year old on a mountain bike

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
Today, for the first time, I put 8 miles on my mountain bike on real mountain bike trails. I've been promising to do this for a few years now and finally did it. Wish I hadn't waited so long cause we had a blast. My son went with me and he loved it to. We had some serious down hill treks, some crazy climbs, rode over bridges, across creeks, granite outcroppings you name it. Anyway, as I sit here typing my fingers are about the only think I can move without hurting. I might have even burned a few calories. Lord knows I need to since I'm about 20lbs. overweight.

Oh yeah, we got home and I threw all the weekend's egg leftovers in a pot and made chili. Some pieces of pork chops, pork tenderloin, and pulled beef. It was fantastic.

Later.
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I rode my bike once this summer for the first time in a long time. All I could think of was how slow it was. My mind told me that I should be going 70mph like I do on my motorcycle. That 4 mile bike ride felt like an eternity. It felt rewarding afterwards though. Just wish I could bike faster and end up where I need to be quicker. Props to you!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I rode 25 miles on a path back in the summer. I survived but I do not recall bike seats being so uncomfortable. My ass hurt for days.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Good on you for getting out and riding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• erniemcclain
    Options
    Great job!!  I am very supportive and hopefully encouraging to people who get out and try.  I am closing in on 54 in January.  Started running about 20 years ago but stopped for several.  In 2014, I have completed 2 half marathons of 13.1 miles each, one full marathon of 26.2 miles, and one "Lazy Man's Iron Man Triathlon (my local YMCA gave us the whole month of February to swim 2.5 miles, ride a bike 112 miles and run a 26.2 mile marathon.  I am now back in the Y pool on a program to swim a mile without stopping in 6 weeks.  Today was Week 2, Day 1. 

I only work out like this so I can eat whatever I want and not have any guilt about it.  Afterall, my father died at age 60 of a massive heart attack. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Was it cold outside? Did you wear a little coat?

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Congrats. Love mountain bike riding. Then I moved to Houston, and this place is F-L-A-T. 
    But the hard part is getting the ball rolling, congrats on making it past the first step.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I walked by my bike once or twice this year.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ksmyrl
    Options
    @eggcelsior that was exactly the reference I was making. Dang I miss Farley. Comic genius, just too many demons. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Going again on Saturday. This may actually be my exercise outlet...I'm hoping anyway.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I was coming out of the liquor store one Saturday and there was an older gentlemen riding a nice bike and was sitting straight up.  There is a bike shop next to the liquor store.  I rode 10 speeds fifteen years ago and had to give it up because of lower back pain.

The next Saturday I went into the bike store and said "do you have a bike for an old man with a bad back?".  He led me to the hybrid bicycles.

To make a long story short, I purchased one a year ago May and just finished my summer riding and I have ridden 2,000 miles total.

A bike is just like an Egg!  Once you buy it, you then have to buy all the accessories! i.e., heart monitor, road ID, helmet, shorts, water bottle, etc.

Having a blast!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• plumbfir01
    Options
    That is awesome! The sooner you get back on your bike the better off you will be. 

This is the race I'm doing saturday and sunday in FL.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Awesome- congrats! 

@plumbfir01- it looks like there is a typo on that web site.  It says 250 miles, which is clearly insane.  ;).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Awesome- congrats! 

@plumbfir01- it looks like there is a typo on that web site.  It says 250 miles, which is clearly insane.  ;).  

Good thing Florida is flat.
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    @blumbfir01 I'm not sure if the race is insane or if you are. Maybe a bit of both? Good luck.