Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood and Ozark Oak. A honest comparison.

Options
13»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @buzd504‌- I like OO & RW equally myself. I use them each for different cooks, but both are top tier.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    dukecush said:

Does anyone know where I could find Ozark Oak or Rockwood in the central jersey/trenton area? If not I guess I might have to try and take the drive to Firecraft in PA?I have only had my large for about 2 months and initially bought 2 20lb bags of BGE. Now that I have gone through one I am just looking to try some others.

It's free shipping over $99 at Firecraft
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    dukecush said:

@SGH. Thanks. I have also thought about trying Wicked Good Charcoal as there are a bunch of dealers in MA back where my parents are. Figure I can pick some up the next time I go and visit.

Wicked is good, but I like OO better, I never find scraps in OO.
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    @SGH - which types of cooks do you prefer RW over OO for, and vice versa?
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    There's an Ace Hardware about 10 miles from home that sells Rockwood - $24.99 per 20 lb. bag plus the round trip schlepp to Fishers, IN. +$3 gas.

Since STL is reading this thread.... might you want to hook us up fellow forum user? Are you talking to Amazon Prime? Is there a "buy direct" address? How about a special "winter price" when demand must be dropping off at least for those of us north of Missouri?

Don't make me drive 5 hours out I-70 to pick up in my little VW, although I love your city dude.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    your comparison of oo and rw is pretty much how i would compare ozark to the old wicked good comp blend, with the old comp blend you could really notice the characters of different smoking woods. when i changed to weekend warrior it was a disappointment for me, its a good lump and right up there with the best but i was burning 400 pounds plus a year of comp blend at the time. most never noticed the difference.  that mapleleaf lump is the best and its the smell that sends it over the top for me, wish i could still get it rocks and all, rocks in every bag
      :D used to keep them for the ducks
    :))
    fish go get a bag of the new Wicked Good Jake's Blend! Just like the old Competition Blend. I'm trying to find time to go pick up a dozen bags before the snow flies.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @sgh I have used OO on and off for years but the prices have gone up crazy. I used to order it from grillstuff.com for $8.95 a bag and free shipping over $100 which was great but that price went up. I am using hasty bake right now which is OO from what I hear and I am pretty sure it is after using it. OO is probably the best lump out there for daily use.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    I found this shop in St. Louis and they had a lot of OZark Oak in stock. Lots of other goodies as well. http://www.stlbbqstore.com/charcoal/ozark-oak-lump-charcoal-10lb/
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I googled (yeah, it's a verb now) "Hasty Bake Ozark Oak" and read through the first page of hits, all references to both were from forums much like this one with individuals claiming that Hasty Bake is private labeled Ozark Oak. 

Some people claimed to have called Ozark Oak and gotten confirmation from their consumer relations dept. that they are one in the same.

From what I understand of manufacturing and private labeling, the same stuff goes through the manufacturing process and the only difference is that on certain days they fill bags that are different from other bags on other days. 

Del Monte vegetables get canned, and some days they use labels from the store brand. Same. Exact. Stuff. just different labels on the same cans.

No wonder I like the Tasty Bake so much - I've been using Ozark Oak and didn't even know it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Since STL is reading this thread.... might you want to hook us up fellow forum user? Are you talking to Amazon Prime? Is there a "buy direct" address? How about a special "winter price" when demand must be dropping off at least for those of us north of Missouri?

Don't make me drive 5 hours out I-70 to pick up in my little VW, although I love your city dude.

The processes, costs, etc do not really change much in the winter.  Sure, supply exceeds demand, so we fill the main warehouse with as much charcoal as we can since come spring/summer, demand exceeds supply.

I looked into Amazon fulfillment one afternoon and was blown away by the costs--it would not save you any money.  Shipping is never "free", you would be paying for it one way or another.  Best for us to stay in the B2B end of things and let our dealership network get it to the consumers.

Thanks for enjoying our city--great place--keep it in your thoughts/prayers because it's probably going to be a war zone within 24-72 hrs.  My family and I are far out of town, but we do have two RW dealers in near the hot zone.  One got looted in August, I just hope they're safe this time.  These are respectable business owners who have vowed to stay the course.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

@stlcharcoal I've seen you mention that many of the Ace Hardware's in the south can order Rockwood.  Can the same be said for one's in Ohio?  Also good luck in the next 24-72 hrs.  It's unfortunate that there are so many stupid people out there.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    jcaspary said:

@stlcharcoal I've seen you mention that many of the Ace Hardware's in the south can order Rockwood.  Can the same be said for one's in Ohio?  Also good luck in the next 24-72 hrs.  It's unfortunate that there are so many stupid people out there.

No, just the store serviced from the Gainesville GA and Loxley AL distribution warehouses.  That's southern LA/MS, eastern TN, western NC, south-central KY, northern FL, and all of GA/SC/AL.

If we decide to let them expand, it would be Florida first, then up the east coast or west through TX.

• DieselkW
    Options
    I bought Rockwood last week at Ace for $1.25 / lb. 

Just now, I bought my own comparison order. Now I have 60lbs of Rockwood and 50 lbs. of OO, with half a bag of Hasty Bake still here. That should get me through Thanksgiving.

Indianapolis, IN

• SGH
    Options
    @DieselkW‌
    Through Thanksgiving? Brother you need to start cooking more often. You are going to end up with cob webs in your egg if you keep letting it set idle for so long ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH - which types of cooks do you prefer RW over OO for, and vice versa?

When I'm shooting for a strict smoke profile I prefer RW. Why? It is very neutral. It doesn't impart hardly any smoke on its on. This is great when doing breads, fish and anything that you don't want a heavy smoke profile on. Also say that I want a pecan smoke profile, I can use RW and pecan wood and pick up only pecan smoke. On the other hand say you are doing a large primal like a beef clod or a whole packer. It's in this arena where the more oak smoke the better. Under this condition I prefer OO for its added oak smoke profile. OO does impart a little oak flavor which is a great thing for some cooks. Again, I love them both. As long as they are available I will keep both on hand and use them accordingly.

Status- Standing by.