Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Vs MM

Options
13»

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have to agree , I'd pay a bit more for non Chinese made. Just my opinion. I like our neighbors down south.
    Seattle, WA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Whirly said:

All interesting info. Not willing to risk lead and cadmium issues. Next one will be Minimax.

Lmao. Get real.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Hi54putty said:
    Based on this review, the KJ appears to be a better unit. I also understand that it is less expensive and readily available. I'm not in the market for either because I'm very happy with my small.

"Better" is a big, decisive word that probably doesn't need to be used here. I don't own a MiniMax. I have a KJ Jr. The KJ Jr. Is certainly worth anyone's consideration and not a me-too, or "almost as good as..." product by any stretch. It stands on its own merits, and like anything else has it's own strengths, and weaknesses (I really haven't encountered a weakness yet save for the much discussed lack of a screen door which isn't a problem. For me. ) I can say it's definitely a compelling value, well made....well warranted and cooks as well as any other Kamado in my fleet (maybe it's the operator?) including my Med BGE. So, my advice to anyone on the fence between the two is to follow the reviews on both (jury still out on the MM) see them both for yourself and pick the one that floats your boat.
    --------------- I said it "appears to be better." That's my opinion. The great reviews of it, including yours, and the poor design of the MM indirect set up I have seen in person lead me to that conclusion. Thanks for the scolding but I understand the meaning of the word "better" and will stick with that. I certainly understand if you have a different opinion.

Withou
    Whirly said:
    All interesting info. Not willing to risk lead and cadmium issues. Next one will be Minimax.

Haha, you don't suppose the buyers AND lawyers at Costco vetted the KJ product before inviting them into their stores for road shows and by virtue of that have essentially endorsed the product as high quality?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Maybe I am missing something, but temp is temp. The indirect stone is intended to keep the direct flame off the protein or whatever. If you are indirect and you burn something you are cooking at too high a temp or too much time, period. If you cook indirect at 350, how exactly does it matter where the plate is located? You simply adjust the vents to the appropriate temp. If you need to monitor the temp directly below your food, that is easily accomplished. If the temp is too high, lower it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @pgprescott‌ no temps aren't temps. The platesetter is way hotter than the 300 degrees my dome was reading and it holds heat. If you put a drip pan on your plate setter the drippings burn but if you put something on top of the plate setter to create a gap they burn less. The farther away the drip pan gets the less they burn. Much hotter radiant heat comes off the plate setter.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lit said:
    @pgprescott‌ no temps aren't temps. The platesetter is way hotter than the 300 degrees my dome was reading and it holds heat. If you put a drip pan on your plate setter the drippings burn but if you put something on top of the plate setter to create a gap they burn less. The farther away the drip pan gets the less they burn. Much hotter radiant heat comes off the plate setter.

then lower the temp. Surely you aren't suggesting the setter is the same temp no matter what. The dome reading is just a guide. Whatever, suit yourself.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @pgprescott‌ even at 250 dome it will burn. Did you not see my pics the grate is almost sitting on the plate setter. Not sure why you are getting frustrated but its a poor design. I could try to drop the dome to 200 and baby sit the whole time and hope it doesn't go out but that kinda defeats the purpose of the egg. I think you should get a mini max and try it and with your vast knowledge show me how its done.