Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL with KJ Divide and Conquer

Options
Hi, this is for XL owners who were wondering if the KJ Divide and Conquer System would fit in the XL... it does and it fits very well.  I haven't cooked anything with it yet... hmmmmm.. ANYTHING PERIOD for that fact, but I think it will work well.  I don't know if the smaller gap between the heat deflector and firebox will do anything to air circulation and cooking results, but it will be interesting to find out later -- and because of the smaller gap, it does eliminate the hot-spots issue... not that that would be a problem for me given the size of the grill.  I bought the system mainly for the variety of configurations it can do -- especially the 2 zone method.

Once I COOK SOMETHING and gain experience with the BGE deflector, I'll let you know if notice anything different between the two.  If you already have experience using this system, any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Richard

Comments

• Richard_LK
    Options
    hmmmmm... is this a better way to post photos..... grrrr

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nice post nice to have options and now hearing the mini max fits the Joe Jr set up.
    Pricing ?
    Seattle, WA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I like it, I don't think anyone is such a purist to BGE, that they wouldn't think this is a good idea,I would like something for my medium along the same lines, but with two levels, still looking, might just make one custom. Very nice, looks like it will serve you well!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Oh yeah, now make all that black, including the egg interior!
    :!! :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Richard_LK
    Options
    Before I bought this, I searched forever to see if anybody else had purchased the system for their BGE... either tthey haven't, or are just too ashamed to admit it.... lol.  I say use whatever works and the Kamado Joe stuff is very high quality.   I even purchased the prior KJ deflector system as the plates sit a bit higher and that fits as well - you just have to center it properly.  Overall, I think I'll be using the Divide system more though.  
  • Richard_LK
    Richard_LK Posts: 13
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah, with the larger photo, you can definitely tell that I'm all talk and no show..... it's so pretty when it's new....I'll definitely use it this weekend .... carefully though and with a drip pan... a very large drip pan...... 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Pricing?
    Seattle, WA
  • Richard_LK
    Options
    I paid about $260 for everything. I purchased all my stuff separately, not as a kit so you could probably get a cheaper at around 200. I usually pay a bit more since I live in Hawaii, but that price does include an additional rack. The rack prior to the new system.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    dude, cook something. That thing is all nice and pretty, but you got to taste the food to really appreciate! Hell, cook some burgers, anything! It doesn't have to be long cook, butt or brisket, just COOK! You will love it.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    and POST the pics. We want to see that XL get dirty! :D
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like the divide and conquer set up as well. Listen, there is no denying that Kamado Joe has come up with some good ideas. It's because of the Joe Jr. that we now have the mini/max. On the other hand it's because of BGE that we have Kamado and Primo cookers. I hope that BGE responds in kind with a divide and conquer type system of their own. Competition is a good thing in my opinion. Why? Everyone keeps coming up with new and creative ideas trying to one up each other. This is a benefit to the consumer. Kamado Joe is to BGE what Klose is to Jambo. They keep each other on their toes and trying to improve their products to gain an advantage. Again, this is good for the consumer. Enjoy that new egg my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Are those racks stainless steel?
    Would half moon baking stones and half moon raised grid accomplish the same thing?
  • Caboholic_EggHead
    Options
    and POST the pics. We want to see that XL get dirty! :D

I think you might be in the wrong forum if your looking for picks of a dirty XL. :-t
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I'm anxiously awaiting feedback. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very nice post and photos.
    Hope you enjoy it.
    I have both the XL BGE and the KJ Big Joe. 
    I went with the XL Adjustable Rig from "Ceramic Grill Store".
    A couple things I did not like about the KJ system.
    You can not spin the top cooking grates. No matter how careful I build a fire I always find the need to either rotate food or spin the cooking grate. Being able to easily spin the cooking crate makes life easier. 
    I like the ability to grab the entire Adjustable Rig and lift it out of the cooker as one piece. This makes changing set ups easy.
    The most important advantage to me is getting the top cooking grate higher in the dome.
    I know KJ makes a add on raised cooking grate but it only sits/rests on a certain spot on the grate below it and can not be shifted or rotated.
    My buddy has this KJ system and hopes to get an Adjustable Rig for Christmas.
    Can't wait to see your cooks…Get that Egg dirty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I'm no expert. I too am an xl owner..I looked at both and have settled on CGS adjustable rig with couple extras.
    I like it's versatility. Depending on your needs and styles both offer great scenarios.
    Welcome to the club...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My cooking background is cooking on a Weber kettle. I bought an XL for it's ability to bank the coals like a kettle for 2 zone cooking. CGS makes awesome brackets for this purpose. Also the XL is roughly the same size as a kettle and that's in my comfort zone. If I had a large, I would look at the Divide & Conquer system.
    Flint, Michigan