Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving dinner, Egg or not.

Options

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'm trying to get the wife to do it in the Egg... I'm not sure I'll get the win!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Large #1 will have a ham on it. Large #2 will have a spatchcock turkey and the Mini will have sausage. Just like the past bunch of years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm doing the first on the egg, been doing my homework for a month now, using Amazingribs.com ultimate smoked turkey recipe. I think it will work well.

Barbecue Turkey And Turkey On The Grill: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Jeremiah said:

@JohnInCarolina‌ gets banned for cussing, and you just admitted to bypassing the egg for the oven. On the most sacred cooking day!?? YOU SHOULD BE BANNED.

HERESY.

You want me banned, take it up with a moderator.

I was just messing with you. I actually have been seriously debating deep frying this year as I wasn't really crazy about madmaxes turkey last year. After lots of YouTube videos I'm going with a version of this:http://youtu.be/Rd2oxEhN5cI
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Large #1 will have a ham on it. Large #2 will have a spatchcock turkey and the Mini will have sausage. Just like the past bunch of years.
    Do you use coffee rub on the turkey?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Zmokin get a heritage bird. Big thighs, little breasts. SOOOO much better than the crap they try to call turkey at the grocer(broad breasted hybrid).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    @Zmokin get a heritage bird. Big thighs, little breasts. SOOOO much better than the crap they try to call turkey at the grocer(broad breasted hybrid).

big thighs, little breasts...hmmm gotta work on seeing the beauty in that...LOL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Mickey said:

Sausage, eh? What kind? I'm looking for a second protein and Wilma is not a ham fan. Beautiful things can be done with leftover sausage!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Dark meat is the best meat Ron. Real beauty is on the inside.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

Mickey said:

Sausage, eh? What kind? I'm looking for a second protein and Wilma is not a ham fan. Beautiful things can be done with leftover sausage!
    Sausage stuffing FTW, Fred.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

It's all pink on the inside.  That is, until the iron in the myoglobin is in the ferric state.   Wonder why the quote button isn't working right.
    Options

BAN THE OVEN ROASTER! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Sausage stuffing FTW, Fred.
    DUH!!!  I'm a little slow today.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    On the egg for sure!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    We do a prime rib in the oven for lunch, but I am going to do a maple brined turkey breast for the few people who would rather have turkey over prime rib
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

It's all pink on the inside.  That is, until the iron in the myoglobin is in the ferric state.   Wonder why the quote button isn't working right.

My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hon
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Bird goes on the Egg for me...
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Doing a 12 lb breast on the egg, and a 15 lb bird in the oven.

What can I say, the company loves big breast .
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Just doing breasts on the egg... sides will be made before and warmed in the oven. Since it's going to be a small table this year with a new  (old friend) guest, I may do some apps as well, oysters or something cool like that
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I cooked my first turkey on the BGE last year. It's just more fun to cook it on the egg and it's tasty too. Actually, I like to spend time outdoors so it helps get me out of the damn house and away from the crowd.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Did a test run max turkey last weekend, very moist and flavorful. Will do another for the holiday.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Naked Ham with sugar maple smoke on the small and turkey on the large. Haven't decided on spatched or tradional yet, still waiting to see who al, will be in attendance

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    I always deep fry at least one. I will continue that tradition this year as well. Also Unit #1 will have the honor of cooking a few.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you are reading this from just "this side" of Biloxi, buy your turkey now! There may be a shortage if you wait.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One bird on the egg and one in the oven.  Some guests want a bird with smoke and some want traditional.  

Already thinking about leftovers and how good a smoked turkey pot pie comes out.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I do mine on my Weber kettle rotisserie.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Will be eggin' here. Don't see a reason to do it any other way. Plus, it frees the oven up for other things.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I egged ours last year ala Mad Max. Turned out great. Everyone oohed and ahhed.

My mom is hosting T-Day this year. So, I'm going to let her use her oven and prep it however she feels like it. And I will eat it, and the potato filling, and the pie, and the ice cream. And I will watch football, and I will wear my stretchy pants. And I will have a very nice nap. And I might sneak a flask along with me to help with the nap.

And only 3 weeks away, I can't wait.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Options

Jalapeño & Cheddar raw sausage.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    For the past bunch of years it looks like this: image