Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly - ideas needed!

Options
I have been looking for a source for pork belly for a few months - simply because I never had it and wanted to try something new. I wanted to find something local, and not order online.
I found some yesterday for the first time at a brand new meat market about 20 miles away when coming home from a day trip. image They had some berkshire pork belly, and it was still in the cyropack. I decided to ask for 3-3.5 lbs, and when he cut it, it was just shy of 4lbs. I took it all - but should have asked what the price was.. YIKES!
But now what? - This kind of caught me off-guard. Even though I was looking for it, I had no set plans for it. But I have it now. I would like to try to do 2-3 different things with it, and 1 being my first attempt at bacon. I was going to use about 1/3 of it for bacon, and then do 1-2 things with what remains. Lots of recipes out there, but thought I would ask you guys for something relatively simple but delicious with specific instructions for the egg. Oh, I will not be cooking any of it today - I have other family obligations, so if you have a simple recipe, but it requires brining, marinating or curing that is fine.
Belly dimensions 14" long 5" wide 2" high and no skin

Any thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I cooked a small piece on the egg once this summer.  I didn't have time to do a long low and slow, and it wasn't fall-apart tender.  But I cut it into small pieces and served with BBQ sauce and it was delicious.  Good luck.  Homer would be proud.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Cure a piece as pancetta, but make the rest into bacon. You'll be amazed how fast it goes. Dice and freeze the trimmings. They're great for omelettes, carbonara, etc. =P~
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    By the way, pancetta does not involve the egg. It is only dried. Not smoked or cooked
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I am also interested in ideas for Pork Belly. I have not done any research as I have so many ideas for different foods....but Pork Belly is on the list !!!!!

I ate some only once at a high-end natural food type restaurant that did "nutritious" country gourmet cooking. It was awesome !!!!   I have also beem looking locally here but have not found any. I haven't asked my butcher, which I don't see any problem with him having it though.

Still curious, thanks for posting and asking,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Gogogordy
    Options
    I cubed some, marinated it in sweet soy sauce/sesame oil/Sri Racha. I skewered the cubes and grilled them as Yakitori. Served over rice and also chicken skewers prepared in a similar fashion. It came our well, but it's rich and a little 'belly goes a long way.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Normy
    Normy Posts: 26
    Options
    I've made pork belly numerous times using Malcolm Reeds process(with different sauce and rub), and it came out phenomenal each time: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8nqH8Jb_8
    Ewing, NJ
  • Normy
    Options
    If that link doesn't work for you, just search 'malcom reed pork belly' on YouTube.
    Ewing, NJ
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way I like to do them.  You do not need a rotissere for the job, just place in a roasting "V" rack skin up.

• dldawes1
    Options
    @RICHARD FL.....thanks friend...I bookmarked the link.

I keep forgetting to search that forum...I get so wrapped up in this one and the THEBGENEST...I find lots of rabbit holes to get lost in !!!!

Thanks again,

Donnie

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    chop up the scraps into small pieces, and put them in an apple pie instead of some of the fat.  Wow is it good.  I like home made bacon, and I like crispy cooked pork belly in a spicy Asian stir fry. Now I need to track down some pork belly!!
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Normy‌
    I see that you use and like brother Reeds method. His advice and techniques on all things concerning Q is solid and dependable. He is a good man to boot. I use several of his products and highly recommend them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Surely I aint the only one wanting to know how much it was?

Little Rock, AR

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Koreans slice it up like thick bacon, and then grill it over charcoal at the table to eat with rice and other side dishes. 

Cube it for Pork'n'beans.

grind it & mix it with other meat making sausage or meatloaf or meatballs

slice it like bacon, and then use it for any bacon-wrapped recipe, it will taste like pork instead of bacon, but it still works.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• dldawes1
    Options
    Zmokin..."tastes like pork instead of bacon" 

Help a Brother understand....

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Top 3 things
    Bacon
    Bacon
    Bacon

But seriously...

Look for the Momofuku Pork Buns recipe online. It is twice cooked pork belly on a steamed bun with Hoisin. Simply incredible.

You can simply roast on the egg, rather than in the oven.

If you are interested and can't find the recipe on line, PM me.

If you like Chinese dumplings and pork buns, it is awesome.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Zmokin..."tastes like pork instead of bacon" 

Help a Brother understand....
    Bacon tastes like , well bacon, similar to ham

A pork chop or pulled pork doesn't taste like bacon, it tastes like pork.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bccomstock
    Options
    I had a po-boy the other day that consisted of thick sliced pork belly braised in Steen's pure cane syrup and topped with a jalapeno corn relish.. It was excellent.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Well, 3 lbs of the belly is curing for bacon, of which half will become pancetta. The balance has been vac-packed and in the coldest part of the fridge which keeps items at a termopened 33 degrees. That part will become a roast this weekend. I figure I will give it a rub in the morning, indirectly slow roast to about 150ish and then flip and go direct to crisp up the fat side. I really have no idea how any of this will turn out.

@Biggreenpharmacist‌ - It was wayyyyyy too much. Lets say this - If I saw it somewhere for $8/lb now, I would think that was a good deal compared to what I paid. I know I got ripped. Fool me once.... I will not be fooled again.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Normy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Normy‌ I see that you use and like brother Reeds method. His advice and techniques on all things concerning Q is solid and dependable. He is a good man to boot. I use several of his products and highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, I'm a fan. I enjoy his newsletter and always check his website for Q advice. My wife got me his BDI injector for my birthday.
    Ewing, NJ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    FWIW, there was a farmer's market stall where I live that sold organic Berkshire. The hogs had been partially fed w. goat's milk. My recollection was that pork steaks, i.e., slices of shoulder, went for slightly more than $8/lb.

The pork was obscenely rich and delicious.

I've cooked lots of ordinary pork belly. Sometimes skin on, sometimes off, rubbed and cooked indirect, dome 250, just like ribs. Gets done in just a few hours.

Also FWIW, high end restaurants sell dishes w. Bershire pork belly for $$$ that may have only a couple of ounces of cooked belly. You may have paid an arm and a leg for it, but it is some of the best stuff out there.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Make bacon but cut off small piece 1/2 pound to cook on the egg for a cooks treat.  Score the skin, season and herb to taste,  place on a rack with pan under to catch the liquid gold.  
    Egg set up grate at felt line pizza stone on grate, foil snake on stone, pan on foil snake (or cake cooling rack), smaller grated on pan and then pork belly.  Cook low and slow for several hours, then open up the egg and to 450 to crisp up the skin.  
    Server with a fruit compote.  
    Or place in fridge over nite, cut slices and pan fry in a CI skillet for one muy good BLT.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Thanks for posting different suggestions !!!!!

Can't wait to try them out !!!

Thanks again,

DD

BRING BACK JIC !