Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, ABTs and the Flame Boss 100

Options

You may remember I was sent a Flame Boss 100 to try out a little while back? Couldn't use it the first weekend as I had to work. Made sure I was able to this weekend and tried it out on a brisket.

Got a 13 pound brisket all trimmed up nice. Rubbed down with mustard and a mix of Fiesta Brisket Seasoning and Cow Lick. Hey, I was trying to get rid of some of my spices after realizing how much I have during the move. No more Fiesta. Started the Egg around 10:30 Friday night to allow plenty of time for the Egg to get dialed in with the new controller. Wasn't sure how long it would take and didn't want to mess. up.

Played with the temps a bit between 10 and 12 and it did a really good job responding. Brisket went on at 12 with B&B oak lump and mesquite for smoke. Temp set at 235F

Went to bed around 1:30 and all looked good. Not sure what time I got up, but the Egg was steady at 236.

I'm pretty sure I pulled it at 1pm (13 hours or so),. Forgot to take a pic. The brisket was wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler to rest for a few hours as it wasn't time to eat just then. Then it was time to get the ABTs on.

Yes, there were 3 nekid, vegetarian ones for my cousin. How a Griffin became a vegetarian? I blame it on living in California for a few years. :-?

The brisket was so tender after sitting in a cooler for a few hours. Was able to separate the point and the flat with the back of a knife. Here's the flat.

And the point

A little bend test

After pulling the ABTs, I raised the temp from 250 to 375 so my cousin could cook his vegan patties. The Flame Boss had no trouble bringing it up to temp in under 15 minutes. No pictures of that cuz well they  were frozen vegan patties. Who cares?

I did notice when installing the Flame Boss, that the new fan does not have those two bendy wires that attach it to the adapter. Kinda freaked me out at first after having a few drinks. Turns out it has a new lip design that keeps it attached. Forgot to take pics of that. Will try and update later. Maybe tomorrow. Kinda hard to explain, but all you need to know is that it works.

As far as performance, I'm totally happy. Works like a champ. Besides the way it attaches, the new design of the controller itself (the most obvious change and appears to be just cosmetic) and new wires that I have no info on, it works just like the original...perfect IMHO. Quickly brought the egg up to temp, held it there for over 13) hours then quickly brought it up to a higher temp to direct grill some burgers. The "Open Dome" function works just as it should, stopping the fan from coming on when you are checking your meat.

No it doesn't have internet or wi-fi. No it won't keep track of your temps and graph them. No it won't tie your shoes or open your beer, but then again I don't want or need a pit controller that does all those things. If you do, hey, that's your thing and this one isn't for you. No biggie. Different strokes and all.

If you want a controller that just controls your pit and that's all without all the fancy bells and whistles, this one deserves looking at. Obviously, I've only used it once, but I'll keep testing it to see how it does over time and how durable it is. So far, I'm am pleased with it. In fact, I'd love to try it out again this coming weekend but I've got a beer and diaper shower being thrown for me. Maybe ribs on Sunday...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments