Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Reverse Sear

Options
I finally did my first reverse sear on the egg tonight for dinner. Rubbed it with a Montréal mix used my CI skillet to do indirect and cooked it at 350 to 380 tell it read 113 inturnal. Pulled and wrapped in foil and got up egg up to 500. Put some butter in the skillet seared it each 4 sides for about a minute. It was the best steak I have done so far. Now I know what all the raving is about. It takes a little more time, but it was worth it.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Steak looks great. Love the smiley face pic
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    looks really good from here!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice job @Ladeback69! Looks fantastic! Congrats on your success. I have to try the reverse sear with the cast iron skillet yet. I've done it for burgers but not for a steak yet. 

When I cook steak, chops, etc.... I like to rest on a baker's cooling rack for a few minutes after I take it off the egg. For me, it seems to keep more juice in the steak compared to when I just put it on a plate. Some time when you get the opportunity, give it a try.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    minniemoh said:

Nice job @Ladeback69! Looks fantastic! Congrats on your success. I have to try the reverse sear with the cast iron skillet yet. I've done it for burgers but not for a steak yet. 

When I cook steak, chops, etc.... I like to rest on a baker's cooling rack for a few minutes after I take it off the egg. For me, it seems to keep more juice in the steak compared to when I just put it on a plate. Some time when you get the opportunity, give it a try.
    @minniemoh‌, I forgot about the baker's rack. I will do that next time.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Steak looks outstanding!! +1 on the cooling rack.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Your steak came out looking scrumdiddlyumptious! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • sofakingbald
    Options
    Excellent work - great color there.
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Thank you, gentleman. One of the local stores here has KC Strip whole strip loin one sale for $5.99 a pound. I need to go get one. They said they would trim and cut it into stakes for free.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks great.  Most things that take extra time come out better.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Thank you, gentleman. One of the local stores here has KC Strip whole strip loin one sale for $5.99 a pound. I need to go get one. They said they would trim and cut it into stakes for free.
    Stakes go in the ground.
    Steaks go in your belly.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    wow! It looks delicious, but I must admit I've never seen a perfectly shaped retangular steak before.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    that looks perfect . . . my stomach is now growling
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Stakes go in the ground.
    Steaks go in your belly.

Spell check. I usually check it.

Kansas City, Mo.