Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A True Lump story!!

Options
In my early days of EGGING, about 2-3 years ago, I experimented with the less expensive brands of Lump.  Cowboy, Frontier and Royal Oak.  I have to say that I ruined more than a few meals where my wife said she would rather cook on the stove than deal with the smokey taste.  Aftersome research I started buying Rockwood and Ozark Oak from Firecraft and no longer had the problem.  My wife now loves when I cook 3-4 times a week. She pays no attention to what I do on the egg, only the outcome.   Well,  last night I ran out of the last bag of the "good stuff".  I fired up the BGE on the back deck with a remaining bag of Royal Oak.  About 15 minutes later my wife walks in the front door from work, takes her coat off and the first thing out of her mouth is,  "you're using the crappy charcoal again!" This is 2 years since I used it last!  Long story short,  I was searing some thin steaks so I let the lump get up to 600 degrees and let it stay there for a while, about 45 minutes.  The VOC's burned off and the steaks were great.   The moral of the story is:  Even if you think your wife isn't paying attention, she is AND you can still use the lesser quality charcoal but make sure you let it burn clear longer than you think you need to.  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments