Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - how to get rid of rotten meat smell from ...

Options
Long story short, we thought we got rid of some bad meat but left it the trash can in the garage for the weekend. When we got home, the garage smelled of death. Turned out some "juices" escaped the 2 separate trash bags. And the garbage can had a small hole in the bottom...

We've tried bleach. We've tried Lysol. We've even tried some sort of odor eater from Home Depot. Only thing I haven't tried is to dump some charcoal on it to see if it can absorb the smell...

Any other suggestions?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Time

but in the interim, make a paste with baking soda and coat the stinky spot.  It should help some.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mix 2 cups of vinegar with 2 cups of original Tide washing powder with 1 gallon of water. This will kill the smell my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @tjosborne‌ that was just rude.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • cpman2
    cpman2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Try "Nature's Miracle" spray or liquid from the pet store on the spots or surfaces. It's got enzymes in it that get rid of organic smells.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mix a little dish soap into white vinegar and pour it on the spot, then dust it with baking soda. the soap and bubbles from the soda with lift it out of the pores. ive done this in the yard with skunk spray on the house. now if you dont want the salad smell,  1 quart peroxide, 1 tbls liquid dish soap, 1/4 cup baking soda, this is what i use for a skunked dog. the peroxide needs to be from a fresh unopened bottle
    1 qt. of 3 percent solution hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp. of liquid dish washing soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_5246441_homemade-skunk-odor-removal.html
    1 qt. of 3 percent solution hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp. of liquid dish washing soap and 1/4 cup of baking soda.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/way_5246441_homemade-skunk-odor-removal.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Absolutely guarenteed to work: if you work in a lab, 30% peroxide will do the trick.  Used it on cat sprayed porous firebricks in the fireplace.  One spray and everything was back to normal
    Morro Bay, CA
  • NervousDad
    Options
    Absolutely guarenteed to work: if you work in a lab, 30% peroxide will do the trick.  Used it on cat sprayed porous firebricks in the fireplace.  One spray and everything was back to normal
    peroxide works well on everything and if you mix it with some Dawn it adds a surfactant that help it along :)
    Aurora,OH
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I would think Clorox/bleach would do the trick.  I use that religiously in the kitchen.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site