Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib's Direct?

Options
My cousin grilled up some baby backs this weekend and boy were they good. He used his gas grill direct. My question, is it possible to do ribs on the egg without a plate setter?

My ribs always come out great, but his ribs had the most incredible bark ... and they were finished in 2.5 hours.
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    If time is the concern just do turbo ribs.  There have been many threads of late to help you out.  IMO I would say no on the Egg.  You can just look at pics to see ribs that hung over the plate setter and how charred they are.  Try the rub that he used and see if that is the factor that left the incredible bark.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @jcaspary ... It's not about time as I am in the 'anti-turbo' camp. I was just curious as to if anyone had done them that way ..
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Boo, turbo good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Boo, turbo good
    lol ... I like you @Mickey. Was hoping you (of all people) would have an answer for me. Tim
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You may be able to go direct if you are raised, but if your brothers ribs were done on a gas grill did it have any smoke flavor? I used to do ribs on my gas grill in 2-3 hours, but I was doing them indirect and no wood for smoke. They were good, but the ones I have done on the egg are better. I had a rib class this Saturday and the instructor did spares in 3 hours and baby backs in 3.5 hours at a temp of 250-275. I'm going to try to replicate his instructions in a few weeks.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ ... Looking forward to your rib cook. I'd love to go to a rib class, sadly living in Los Angeles there's nothing here. Heck, I'd pay good money for a class. Right now I'm learning as I go.
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @SoCalTim - I am not sure if you could direct the whole time since i have never tried that, but the ribs I did were indirect for about 4 1/2 hours and were awesome. Had a nice crisp outside but not a whole lot of bark. I would think you could them similar to a reverse sear.. Cook indirect until about 45 minutes from being done, remove the plate setter and place the grid right onto the firebox. Keep the lid open to let the flames kick up a bit, then throw the ribs back on for about 15 minutes per side.. That should char them up a bit.

Here are the ones I did indirect:

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I try the turbo method around 300. If you have a lot of sugar in your rub they will get a lot of bark. I was skeptical but they turn out well.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SoCalTim‌- Brother Cal, you absolutely can grill them direct on the egg with spectacular results. Especially if you go raised direct. The key is to limit the egg temp to around 300 degrees, give or take a little. Why? To prevent scorching. Due to them being direct they will still cook fast even though you are keeping some what of a low temp. My wife actually prefers her bb's cooked direct. They have a different texture as opposed to indirect. I have a post where I did country style ribs at 600 degrees direct with outstanding results. But trust me brother Cal when I say that if you keep a eye on them and do your part, you certainly can turn out some outstanding ribs direct and raised direct on the egg. Good luck brother Cal.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SoCalTim‌- Also when cooking direct or preferably raised direct, it's good to give the meat a occasional flip. Why? To ensure even cooking and browning and to prevent scorching. Just thought I would share my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @Zarcon @SGH‌ ... Thank you so much for the info, I will be doing this cook this weekend. Ill keep ya all posted.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @SoCalTim‌ to me it looks like only half the grill is lit?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i do them raised direct all the time, i prefer them cooked that way. i use minimum lump as it uses maybe half the lump as a indirect cook, 235 works for me. flip more often or stand them, standing them is more forgiving. i only cook them indirect when im off in a boat with no one watching them. you can do the same with a butt, its amazing how little lump is needed going raised direct verse indirect
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use to do them mostly direct on my weber kettle.  They needed to be flipped and rotated regularly to prevent burning, but they were good.  They weren't as tender as low and slow, but that may have been due to the fact they only spent an hour, 1.5 hours tops on the grill.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.