Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BBQ Dragon and starters

Options
What are your thoughts on the BBQ Dragon. I was watching a show the other day I want that on DIY. I saw this gadget that clips onto your grill. It does not breath fire but it is basically a strong fan that blows air on to the lump, fire pit or what ever you need. It looks like it works pretty well to get the fire hot really fast it has a adjustment knob for speed and it takes batteries. Which I have trouble doing that when I am trying to get the egg above 600 or 700 to sear steaks or make pizza. They are around $55 on Amazon that sounds a little to much to me. I use a electric starter I didn't not want to have to pay or the starter bricks and then go back and buy more. What do you guys use.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've never had a hard time getting mine up to temp. I light it, walk back in a prep the food, have a beer and put the food on. :-?? The guy that made it was on here a while back peddling it. He seemed nice, but was given the mangrates treatment by most.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Also, and I really am not a good source but I would think you'd want to give the ceramics a little time to come to those high temps.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    I only have trouble when I am in a hurry. I don't like waiting 30-45 minutes for it to get that hot. I did not think about that. It probably would not be a good idea to do that on a cold day it might shock the ceramic. I just made a fire for my sisters kids to roast marshmallows and it took me forever to start the fire I sure wish I had the BBQ Dragon.
    Jeremiah said:
    Also, and I really am not a good source but I would think you'd want to give the ceramics a little time to come to those high temps.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I like mine. Egg ready to cook at 400F in 8 minutes on busy weeknights. It was an impulse buy for me but it already paid for itself with all the times I avoided going to the restaurant.

Options

Options

Mine never takes 30-45 minutes to get that hot. I've messed around and forgotten about mine and after bout 20 minutes the thermometer is wrapped around.

Little Rock, AR

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The medium heats up fast. The XL can be slower and I could see using that. But it's pretty expensive for a small fan. I've used an old hair dryer a couple times when I need to be up to temp fast. Hair dryer is fast but needs to be plugged-in. I also have a set of bellows for cordless airflow.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I only have trouble when I am in a hurry. I don't like waiting 30-45 minutes for it to get that hot. I did not think about that. It probably would not be a good idea to do that on a cold day it might shock the ceramic. I just made a fire for my sisters kids to roast marshmallows and it took me forever to start the fire I sure wish I had the BBQ Dragon.

How do you normally get your fire going?  Are you using starter cubes?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have one and it works well, as stated above. However, I wouldn't spend retail on it. I found mine for 30 bucks on zulily earlier this year. It was odd seeing it on that site(they normally have kids stuff) but they were running a father's day grilling promotion.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ that's funny, I got some Father's Day grill stuff from there too. Wife picked up Pitt mitts for about $10 each. They're great.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    I have a large egg. I use a electric fire starter it does a good job. If I am trying to get high heat I start on on side of the egg for 10 minutes then I move it to the other side for 10 more minutes. Sometimes that works.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am sure it works fine and it is a cool idea.  It is convenient that it is rechargeable and you can clip it to the egg and walk away. 

That being said there are certainly alternative.  @DMW mentioned he uses a small shop vac from Lowes that he can switch from suck to blow.   I believe it is this one.

The obvious advantage is you can also use it to vac out the ash.  It may not be as powerful as the BBQ dragon and it does not use batteries...but if you are using an electric starter already you obviously have power to your egg anyway

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    I have never thought of using my shop vac. I got one small enough to fit in the front to suck out the ash it also blows. I will try that next time. I got the one at home depot that fits onto of a 5 gal bucket for like $20 I love it because its light and it has a small enough nozzle to fit in the front. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I am sure it works fine and it is a cool idea.  It is convenient that it is rechargeable and you can clip it to the egg and walk away. 

That being said there are certainly alternative.  @DMW mentioned he uses a small shop vac from Lowes that he can switch from suck to blow.   I believe it is this one.

The obvious advantage is you can also use it to vac out the ash.  It may not be as powerful as the BBQ dragon and it does not use batteries...but if you are using an electric starter already you obviously have power to your egg anyway
    Shop Vacs aren't portable(well, not that portable). This is the biggest advantage for me as I just pack a small item that helps with my mini and weber kettle on vacation.
  • ChadEggHeadEst2014
    Options
    Yea but I got to get out the extinction cord out anyway for the electric starter. I am planning on getting the mini or the Mimi max soon to take on vacation with me and to make side items. When I do go on vacation I am probably just going to just bricks. I will put the BBQ dragon on my Christmas wish list lol.
  • bbrawler
    Options
    I use an $8 heat gun.  Set it on top of the coals and poof, you're ready to go.  If it burns up, $8 gets a new one. 
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I use starter cubes to light mine. Here is the mistake I have made before. Light 1 cube in the center with vents open, lid open. Let burn for about 10 minutes. Close the lid, leave vents open and daisy wheel off. Take my little 10" oscillating fan and turn it on medium about 5 feet away. I went to prep my food and about 15 minutes, my dome temp was 700+ degrees.. I bout freaked out.

I put the daisy wheel on with vents 1/4 open and closed bottom vents with about 1/2" open and the smoke starting puffing (literally) like a train..

Luckily, the temp started to drop immediately and after about 3 minutes, gave it a burp to help calm it down. I truly wasn't expecting that.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Between the hi-que and the weed touch I don't need anything. Before the hi-que I just used wifes hair drier.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Mickey said:

Between the hi-que and the weed touch I don't need anything. Before the hi-que I just used wifes hair drier.

No wonder she wears such nice jewelry.