Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stromboli

Options

Comments

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Looks awesome. I definitely could go for some of that!
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ @Dyal_SC‌ @tulocay‌
    Thank yall for the kind words my friends.
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thank you as well brother husker. Let me say, if I may sir. The SEC rules! ;)
    You know im just messing with you brother Husker.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The Stromboli looks fantastic! SEC is aight. ;) But, I think you should revisit making pizza. Make your own dough etc and I'm confident you'd nail it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    We wound up not even using the sauce. Just ate it as is. May try it on the second one though as a comparison.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    SGH said:
    @DMW‌ Thanks man. It turned out pretty dog gone good for my first attempt. Fixing to put another one on as well. image

Wow, Wow and Wow!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother if I ever get enough time off from work to finish my table I'm really going to start trying to get pizzas down. It's something that I would love to be good at. @anzyegg is suppose to assist me with the pizza making endevour. Again thanks for the kind words brother Husker. It's much appreciated my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    For someone who claims to not be able to make pizza that Stromboli and the loaded naan looks amazing. You need to revisit the pizza and knock it out of the park like you did here.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    Options
    Round 2.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @bigguy136‌ @jcaspary‌
    Thank yall for the kind words my friends.
    @jcaspary‌
    I honestly can't make a good pizza. The naan was premade. The Stromboli dough is just a slightly modified biscuit dough that I use. With pizza you can't get away with this. I have always been more of a bbq and deep fry guy. In this arena I can more than hold my own. With baking and pizza, I stink.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Number 2 is complete.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    Options
    You need to try again imho!!!!! Start with pre made dough and work from there.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Okay....you make a large quantity of food on most of your cooks.

WHERE IS THE ARMY YOU ARE COOKING FOR!?!?!?

Signed,
    Confused and Bewildered.   ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌
    The majority of it is for me. I have a "decent" appetite my friend. Always have.

Status- Standing by.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So it IS an army...
    ...and army of 1!  

Bow down!

Stromboli looks great!

I like an authentic (to me) calzone... ham, mozz, ricotta. that's it.  Sauce on the side.  Give it a try!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Stromboli looks delicious brother, Similar to a calzone? I'm not Italian by any stretch, but I love calzones and that looks close enough to one, and that stuff job is awesome. You never get them stuffed that fat at a pizza place!!
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend. As far as the sauce we didn't even use it. Maybe next time.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @SGH, if I ate like that much I would be back to 400 pounds again. You must have one hell of an metabolite or tape worm.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    Honest answer fellows. Is this how the Stromboli should look? I ask because I'm not a baker at all. This is honestly my first 2 Strombolis. Any tips or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    Options
    I've never seen them that shape but with the egg what can you do... Color looks spot on. Nothing leaked out. Good job as far as I'm concerned.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    What makes a Stromboli a Stromboli and different than a Calzone? SGH....that's a good looking whateveh it's called.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SGH
    Options
    @jcaspary‌
    Thanks man. I had to bend them to fit. I was using a 13 inch stone. I loaned a friend my 16 inch so I was forced to improvise.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Gogogordy‌
    To be honest. I don't know the difference. Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Gogogordy
    Options
    Maybe it's just a regional difference in name. Anyone? But....now I'm hungry.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    SGH said:

Honest answer fellows. Is this how the Stromboli should look? I ask because I'm not a baker at all. This is honestly my first 2 Strombolis. Any tips or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A stromboli is usually straight with large slits. It's viewed more as a sandwhich, where as a calzone is more of a pizza. It's also rolled, where a calzone is folded and pressed.

imageimage
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Almost no difference at all. Same ingredients. Whatever you want to fill them with. Stromboli have the sauce on the side while calzones have the sauce on the inside.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Good info. Probably tastes the same.....cured meats, sauce, cheese. What's not to like. Thanks for the info.
  • cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jcaspary said:

Almost no difference at all. Same ingredients. Whatever you want to fill them with. Stromboli have the sauce on the side while calzones have the sauce on the inside.

Your backwards. I've never been sold/served a traditional calzone with sauce on the inside...it's always on the side. My Great Grandma Maeme knew her way around Italian cuisine. Wish I was old enough to steal some of her knowledge.

http://mamaginaspizzeria.com/blog/know-your-italian-sandwiches-calzone-vs-stromboli.html

• cazzy
    Options
    You'll see some put sauce in both or not though. As long as the doughs right, they're hard to screw up if you use enough cheese and meat.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    How did mine look? Thumbs up or down. Mine was curved do to using the small 13" stone.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:

@cazzy‌
    How did mine look? Thumbs up or down. Mine was curved do to using the small 13" stone.

I'd eat it!!!