Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet Another Sous Vide Question

Options
I'm in the middle of cooking short ribs - 72 hours at 144*.  The ribs will be finished tomorrow - Sunday - in the afternoon.
Last night, I was gently reminded by SWMBO that we're going to a friend's house for dinner Sunday and the short ribs aren't invited.

So my question is this:  do I stop cooking the ribs now, refrigerate them in their vacuum bag and resume cooking a day later [picking up where i left off] -
 or, do I finish the 72 hour cook on time and then refrigerate them in the bag until I want to finish them.   I was planning to finish them by searing on the Egg so I figured they're be getting refrigerated briefly at the end of the 72 hours. 

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Personally, I've never gone 72 hours - longest has been 48 hours. I did stop a rib cook at the 24 hour mark, ice bathed in the bag, held in the fridge for two days then completed the cook. Did not notice any difference in the final result. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Finish the cook and refrigerate until you're ready to grill them. 

I've gone as long as 96 hours in the bath with a brisket at 138F.
    Options
    I'd let them cook. I usually do my shortribs @ 132. I really couldn't tell the difference between a 2 day and a 3 day cook, so I doubt if you'll see any changes from a 3 day to a 4 day. When I pull the ribs out of the bath I like to strain the juices to make a red wine reduction sauce. While I'm making the sauce I put the ribs in a ziplock bag and put them back into the water until I'm ready to sear. Hope this helps. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Finish them. Ice bath. Refrigerator. Reheat them for an hour. Remove from bag. Sear on the egg.