Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini question

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've been extremely fit and fat....been happy both ways. Right now I'm enjoying eating comfort food and drinking PBR. It'll swing back around and I'll start lifting and pounding protein shakes again. Can you make a protein shake on the mini?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes you can. The mini will make any thing. I use to be very fit, when I was 40 I was 245 pounds of ripped muscle. I worked out 2 hours a day 4 times a week. To build the massive frame I had at the time, I took 6 cc's of injectable Testosterone Cypionate a week, 40mg of Dianabol a day along with 3 cc's of both Deca Durabolin and Equipose a week. My steroid habit approached 500 dollars a week. My point? Just because someone looks fit or is muscled up doesn't directly mean that they are healthy. When I looked like Arnold Swatrzaneeger I was anything but healthy. Yeah the ladies loved me back then, but I'm partially paralyzed today because of my pursuit of a perfect build. I'm much happier today consuming bbq and seafood than I ever was living off of performance enhancing drugs and lifting massive weights I assure you my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I wasn't commenting on your station, just the way you presented it. I couldn't care less what people eat, as long as they are respectful to me, I return the sentiment. I was just pointing out how the tone of your statement goes both ways and generally, what is heard about is how I stated it(fat shaming). Both are wrong and need to stop, which is why I pointed it out in a humorous manner.

In regards to the pissing contest, I couldn't care less. But for shits and giggles, I can dunk a basketball. Can you? 
    :D
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No I cant. I'm to old, short and partcially paralyzed. But I can still dead lift a little over a quarter of a ton to this day. Not bad for a old crippled up man. How about you young man? Can you pull a quarter of a ton from a cold pull?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Good thing you can cook!
  • henapple
    Options
    @Eggcelsior is just afraid of his wife. ..me too. :D
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @henapple‌ -I mean this with nothing but absolute respect. His wife is one of the nicest and most beautiful women that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She is truly breath taking to say the least. And I mean that with all due respect and kindness.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    It's Friday errrrrybody, I'm just playing.
  • henapple
    Options
    @SGH‌. .... your wife seemed nice till she started stealing my PBR. :D
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

It's becoming pretty clear to me that at some point, I'm going to have to have an eating contest with @SGH and play @Eggcelsior 1-on-1 in basketball... with any luck I'll do both of them on the same day.  Even if I lose at both of them it'll be a fun day all around, especially if the day ends with a PBR drinking contest with @henapple which I will undoubtedly lose, but enjoy nonetheless.

I enjoy gluttony like SGH but also enjoy fitness.  2 dozen Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts is just a start for me.  Small meals just piss me off.  So, I often skip meals as I find that much preferable to eating a small meal.  And I work out and run to stay fit.

So - getting to the point of this thread - there is no mini BGE in my future.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:

@Eggcelsior is just afraid of his wife. ..me too. :D

You have no idea. "OK" is the most popular word/phrase in the world. "Yes dear" is mine.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Foghorn said:

It's becoming pretty clear to me that at some point, I'm going to have to have an eating contest with @SGH and play @Eggcelsior 1-on-1 in basketball... with any luck I'll do both of them on the same day.  Even if I lose at both of them it'll be a fun day all around, especially if the day ends with a PBR drinking contest with @henapple which I will undoubtedly lose, but enjoy nonetheless.

I enjoy gluttony like SGH but also enjoy fitness.  2 dozen Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts is just a start for me.  Small meals just piss me off.  So, I often skip meals as I find that much preferable to eating a small meal.  And I work out and run to stay fit.

So - getting to the point of this thread - there is no mini BGE in my future.

The mini is how I stay fit. Carry it 5 miles, grill, 5 miles, grill. I need to trademark this.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Foghorn‌
    Come on down my brother. Nothing I like more than good company and large meals. Just a warning my friend. I have easily bested many people who thought that they could eat. For example I usually eat 8-12 dozen oysters while waiting on my meal. Those numbers are not exaggerated at all. If anything they err on the side caution. I assure you I can put it down with the very best out there. Not speed wise but total consumption my friend. So if you ever get the chance, come on down to just this side of Biloxi my friend and join me with a steak or 10. Will be a pleasure to have you sir.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Options
    @Foghorn‌ is 7' tall and pretty sure he is Richard Sturbin of the Oak Ridge Boys.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:

@Foghorn‌ is 7' tall and pretty sure he is Richard Sturbin of the Oak Ridge Boys.

Does he have a jumper?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options

henapple said:

Does he have a jumper?
    He wears a onesie.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

henapple said:

Does he have a jumper?
    He wears a onesie.
    I'm not talking about Henapple's avatar.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Henapple wears a bacon onesie.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Options

henapple said:

Does he have a jumper?
    It's more of a setter at this point. But it's money.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @SGH, my best effort ever was 36 slices of pizza - about half of them were the thick slices... But I lost that bet to a friend half my size who ate only thin slices and finished off 37, so I had to buy dinner for both of us at the $3.99 pizza buffet.
    I've also been refused service at Sonny's BBQ on Sunday "all you can eat BBQ chicken" night after going there 3 Sundays in a row. So, I'm no slouch, but that was many years ago. At this point I'm pretty sure you'll out eat me, but we'll both have a grand time in the process. A steak or 10 sounds perfect.

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Foghorn‌
    Brother I welcome fellow heavyweights with open arms. You come by anytime my friend and I will cook up 3 sacks of oysters and 10 or 20 steaks for the occasion my friend. After we eat the above I will start cooking supper as well. My address is 18352 Diamond Road. Saucier Ms. 39574.
    Phone is 228-627-5400. Come by anytime my friend. The smoker is always hot.
    Name is Scottie Horton.

Status- Standing by.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I did a 5 pound shoulder at 225F dome for 8 hours and still had about two cups of lump left.image
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Foghorn
    Options

"The mini is how I stay fit. Carry it 5 miles, grill, 5 miles, grill. I need to trademark this."

That sounds like the @Eggcelsior workout for Crossfit.  They are always naming their workouts.

The @henapple workout is similar but involves a cooler full of PBR and only covers a distance from the refrigerator to the back yard.

San Antonio, TX

• chashans
    Options
    Foghorn said:

"The mini is how I stay fit. Carry it 5 miles, grill, 5 miles, grill. I need to trademark this."

That sounds like the @Eggcelsior workout for Crossfit.  They are always naming their workouts.

The @henapple workout is similar but involves a cooler full of PBR and only covers a distance from the refrigerator to the back yard.

I don't carry mine around any more.  I use a hand truck.   
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Options

• SGH
    Options
    @Foghorn‌
    Brother Fog, let me say that 36 slices of pizza is pretty good indeed. I'm not sure what is the most pizza that I ever ate is because I usually do not gorge on pizza due to the amount of bread. However, that being said, not to long ago I went on my grand daughters first grade field trip. For amusement for the children I ate 17 Big Mac's and drank 6 vanilla super size shakes. I could have ate 2 or 3 more but time did not permit. Where I can really show out and eat truly large capacities is seafood. I can eat 20 dozen oysters as a warm up for the main course. Easily. Only a few weeks back I posted a decent size meal that I put down. Nothing real large but not to bad either. I had a steak, 8 dozen oysters, 3 red fish, a side of bbq shrimp and for good measure another side of bbq shrimp with fries and hush puppy's. Not a world record but more than 3 average men would eat combined. And I honesty wasn't even hungry when I put that down. Was just bored. Also a couple of weeks back I met Nola for oysters at OceanA. Not sure of the actual number consumed, but my oyster bill was 280 bucks. I would guess around 20 dozen or so. I would have ate far more but my wife got angry and said that I was embarrassing her so I stopped. We really should get together and raid Dragos or OceanA my friend. I would love to see the look on the waiters face when we said: Bring us 50 dozen oysters for a appetizer. That would be awesome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If that happens, let me know and I'll take the video.  My BIL is a cardiologist and SWMBO works as a telemetry nurse, we'll have them stand by and keep everyone alive as long as possible.
    Options
    @SGH and @Foghorn‌, I was laughing so hard because you guys reminded me about a buddy from college. We shared an apartment and took turns cooking. Growing up, my parents always cook extra so no one's hungry. We always had leftovers. But this one guy, Barry was a HUGE eater. It became a silent contest of sorts, I cooked more and more and he'll finish everything! No leftovers! Our 3rd roommate could sense tension brewing.

Finally after a few months, I made enough food for 10 easily. And when he couldn't finish everything he apologized for not finishing everything!?! That he tried really hard and it was good...

Turns out, he was raised not to waste food, not finishing meant you didn't like it. For me, if there weren't leftovers, you're not being hospitable... We had a big laugh about it. Portion size got back to normal after that.

@henapple‌, my kub isn't a mini, but, it does come up to temp really fast. Since I steal used lumps from the other cookers, I don't have to wait for the smoke to change color! This made it possible for weekday cooks!!!!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Foghorn
    Options

@SmyrnaGA, I was raised not to waste food either.  I was a particularly skinny kid and who grew 7 inches in the 9 months of 8th grade so as a 13 year old I was 6'3" and 135 pounds.  I spent the next 5 years of my life working every day to gain weight.  I once ate 11 Whoppers and was still hungry but had run out of time and free food (this was on a high school basketball road trip). 

@SGH, like I said earlier, I can't eat like I used to, and I don't care for oysters, but we could still have a lot of fun knocking down a bunch of steaks.  When I go to a Brazilian steak house I'm usually able to get them to stop slicing the filet mignon and just bring me whole filets (6 or 8 of them after everybody else is full) so they can get us to leave.  I usually don't stop because I am full but because my wife is getting impatient.

@henapple, I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread.  To get back on track, maybe in Salado we see if a mini can produce steaks faster than SGH and I can eat them.  We'll wash them down with your PBR unless there is some beer available.  The attached pic shows what Central Market thinks of PBR.  Maybe the Russkies will improve it.

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've been tempted to fry on the egg, but when it comes down to it, I think this works better for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings