Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook - ribs!!

Options
Yesterday my wife decided she wanted me to make chicken as the first meal on our new LBGE tonight... Right before going to the store she changed her mind and now wants ribs (what do you expect, she's pregnant!?)

I went and picked up some ribs, Apple juice, and lit up the egg for the first time!! It was pretty easy to stabilize it to about 270-275 dome temp (I was told some temp is normally about 20-25 degrees higher). I'm cooking them at 250 indirect with some apple and cherry wood chunks mixed in the lump. I put a drip pan with apple juice and the ribs have been on for about 30 mins already. I'll be brushing them every hour with a Apple juice and apple cider mix. I'm expecting them to be done in another 4.5-5 hours. I'll post pics along the way.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome to the club!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  For ribs I use the "toothpick test" to determine when finished.  Insert a toothpick into the thickest meat and when there is no resistance, you are there.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome to the party and enjoy. Good choice on the switch to ribs. Happy wife...
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Monaarts
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  For ribs I use the "toothpick test" to determine when finished.  Insert a toothpick into the thickest meat and when there is no resistance, you are there.  Enjoy the eats.
    Thank you!  I was just about to search for a good way to tell when they're done, so you saved me some time. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome to the Dark Side never to return again
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Your plan sounds solid but there really is no need to brush with apple juice and cider or to have liquid in the drip pan.  The egg provides for a very moist cooking environment.  Opening the lid to brush will most likely increase your cook time and may also cause your temps to spike with the influx of air.  If you want to mop and use liquid in the drip pan, nothing wrong at all with doing so - just giving you my 2 cents.  When I first got my egg I tried about a hundred different ways to make ribs.  I would marinate them, brush them, foil with liquid, foil with no liquid, etc.....  and through much trial and error I now just put them on and let them go until done.  Might brush with some thinned downed sauce the last 30 minutes or so but that is it.  The consistency of my rib cooks has improved greatly and l like the end product a whole more too.  Good luck on the cook and let us know how she turns out!
    XL BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yeah, welcome, and we're standing by for the pics!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    LOOK at that clean white interior! Welcome, hang on and enjoy the ride. :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Welcome and kudos to your wife. Pregnancy was not fun for mine.
  • Monaarts
    Options
    Welcome and kudos to your wife. Pregnancy was not fun for mine.
    Thank you! Hers hasn't been pleasant either, which is why I was quick to change the menu at her suggestion! Lol
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Welcome, let us know how they turn out.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    A little late but check out the bend test too- it's a good way to check for them being done. welcome to the club!
    Greensboro, NC
  • Monaarts
    Options
    The ribs came out good - I think I but a wood chunk or 2 too many and could have cooked them another 15-30 minutes. Flavor was good, just a bit to smoky and not faking off the bone quite enough.
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    They sure look good. I only use 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of hickory mixed in the lump.
  • gerhardk
    Options
    How long did you stabilize the temperature? I think the overwhelming smokiness may be from the bad smoke coming from the charcoal, I find it almost impossible to get too much smoke on ribs from wood chunks, chicken can get too much smoke from the added wood. Just my 2 pennies. Gerhard
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Looks like a good job to me, well done for a first try:)  My observations.  I've tried using drip pans filled with various juices and consider it a waste of time.  Very little to no flavour infused from the pan.  I temporarily went back to water, and have now eliminated the pan altogether.  I put some foil on platesetter for easy clean up and have at it.  I will spritz with apple juice occasionally.  Gives the ribs a nice "shine" prior to saucing, maybe a wee bit of added flavour and may help marginally in keep outside of ribs moist.  As for amount of smoke that can boil down to personal preference.  I rarely smoke more than an hour or two tops.  I find not enough smoke is better than too much.  Next time only put in a chunk or two and cut back and compare your results.  And finally, falling off the bone to some is over done.  If you did not wrap them in foil it is even harder to achieve.  I personally like to have a bit of firmness or tug on the ribs.  Again personal preference.  For a first try I think you did an excellent job, and now you start fine tuning your cook to your preference.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the Egg ride:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Monaarts
    Options
    gerhardk said:

How long did you stabilize the temperature? I think the overwhelming smokiness may be from the bad smoke coming from the charcoal, I find it almost impossible to get too much smoke on ribs from wood chunks, chicken can get too much smoke from the added wood. Just my 2 pennies.

Gerhard

I got the temp about where I wanted it which took maybe 20-25 mins after lighting and then I put 8 wood chunks in (4 Apple and 4 cherry) and then waited another 15-20 mins. It looked like most of the initial smoke was burned off.
  • gerhardk
    Options
    Monaarts said:
    I got the temp about where I wanted it which took maybe 20-25 mins after lighting and then I put 8 wood chunks in (4 Apple and 4 cherry) and then waited another 15-20 mins. It looked like most of the initial smoke was burned off.
    Your ribs did look good but I was just commenting on your comments of too much smoke.  The dealers always want to tell you how quick it is up to useable temperature, and it is true it heats up quick, but the charcoal may not be ready.  One good test is put your hand over the smoke and if it has a chemical type of smell give it another 15 minutes before you add wood and smoke.  The smoke should smell like the taste you want to add to the meat.  My first shoulder was like that, I was just in too big of a hurry to put the meat on.  This is generally not a problem on hot cooks and not a problem when you use the charcoal for a second cook.  You did put a lot of wood in so that may be part of the problem, I usually use a couple of chucks and a handful of chips.

Just something to keep in mind

Gerhard
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    I agree with gerhardk about the test for if the charcoal is ready to go, the chemical smell is a give-away. You should wait for that before you put the wood chunks in. But I also agree with you too much smoke is possible. My last two rib sets have been beef ribs with hickory smoke, I used about 4 chunks put right on the hot spots, no chips. Get smoke for maybe 45 minutes and then no more. Works great. Apple should be great for pork ribs, or cherry.
    LBGE
  • Monaarts
    Options
    How long do you all normally wait after you put wood on before putting food on?  20-30 mins?
  • gerhardk
    Options
    Hard to put an exact time on it but generally 30 to 40 minutes seems to work for me.  The hotter the cook the quicker the coals are ready to cook on.

Gerhard