Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs

Options
I was at the butcher today and he had a special on country style ribs and they looked great and I bought some. The only problem is I never made them and am looking for some advise. Im planning on dry rubbing the night before then slow and low till there done, do you cook them just like regular ribs the in laws are coming over for football and ribs.Thanks

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    There are a couple of different types of country ribs.  Some actually come from the loin so they are similar to baby backs, and others are just sliced up pork butt. 

Either way I would just cook them until they are good and tender.  I would shoot for an internal temp approaching 185-190.  If you get too high they might fall apart completely.  If they are the boston butt type they might take a little longer.  

If time is an issue you could foil them for a while to speed up the cooking process. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Here's a recipe that works well-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggsalent
    Options
    Thanks there butt
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have had good luck cooking them many different ways as they are very forgiving in the arena. Unlike BB's and Spares. Why? Because they are not ribs at all. Just a moniker or pen name if you will. As far as taste, in my opinion it's hard to beat raised direct. You get the best of several worlds using this method. They cook faster than true low and slow and yet slower than true direct. This still allows time for proper rendering and also the benefit of fat dripping on the coals for some extra flavor. Here are some I cooked earlier today using the raised direct method. You can replicate this setup on your egg as well. Good luck my friend.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggsalent
    Options
    Thank You Those look great
  • SGH
    Options
    One last thing. We all have different tastes and opinions. That being said I would like to offer mine. If your country styles are from the loin I prefer to pull them around 180 give or take a little just depending on how they look and feel. If they are from the butt I like to take them into the mid 90's. Why? It just seems to work out well for me. Remember you are not making pulled pork so cook them to your liking, not to temp.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    The only thing I can add to this is that I think "country style ribs" is a misnomer to begin with. They are really a modified version of pork steaks, and IMHO you should cook them in the same way you would your favorite pork steak.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Eggsalent
    Options
    So don't cook them Low n Slow PNFoodie
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I cook them raised direct at 350-375 dome to 185-190 or until the tenderness your looking for is reached. I baste them with a thin sauce 2-3 times during the last 1/2 hour of the cook.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggsalent
    Options
    How long do they take at that temp
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I don't really remember but it shouldn't take too long. Keep them flipped so they don't char to much on one side.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I cooked the above country style ribs in 51 minutes and 19 seconds. Note: I was running pretty wicked temps just to check out my new grilling mods on Unit 6. Hope this helps to give you a idea though on time. You can really blast the ones from the loin.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggsalent
    Options
    Thank You SGH Im sure it will