Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey transport

Options
This is my first post on this excellent forum. :-) I've got a large BGE since april this year and am absolutely loving it. 

I volunteered to cook a Christmas Turkey on the BGE for my family this year (10 adults), so I ordered a nice 15 lbs Kelly Bronze to be delivered on the 23rd of December (if you're not familiar with the kelly bronze, check it out, apparently it is the quintessential British Christmas turkey. I'm in the Netherlands, btw). So my question is:
we're celebrating the christmas dinner at my in laws, which is about a two hour drive from my place. I plan on cooking / smoking the bird during the day, wrapping it in foil once it's ready to go, put it in a cooler and make the drive at about 17.00 in the afternoon. Diner 's planned at about 20.30, after the kids have eaten (they are very young). I'll probably have to reheat the bird a little in my mother in law's oven. Is this the best way to go, in order to have the bird as fresh as possible? Or is it better to cook the bird the day before, cool it and then reheat it completely the next day? What about bacteria etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Alexander12
    Options
    I had something similar last year.  Took the bird off right as it was time to leave, FTC'd the bird and drove 1.5hrs to my parents house.  At the 2 hour mark the bird was still steaming hot.  
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    If you FTC, it will be hot for many many hours. Search for FTC on this site. Preheat the cooler with hot water, wrap bird in foil (I slide her in a clean trash bag as well), wrap in towels, put in cooler.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Welcome to eggland Hapee. FTC the bird and thepan drippings to make the gravy when you arrive or make the gravy before you go.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hapee
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Will try the FTC method and make the gravy at my in laws. Now all I need to do is get the timing right. I'm following Naked Whiz's recipe. Probably start cooking in the late morning, what do you guys think? 

Excellent forum by the way, I've been reading for weeks now. Great vibe!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Harpee ... just curious, how much are eggs in the Netherlands? BGE dealers? Etc ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    A 15-pound turkey will take a little more than 2.5 hours to cook at 325-350.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Hapee
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Harpee ... just curious, how much are eggs in the Netherlands? BGE dealers? Etc ...
    I don't know any exact numbers, but I think there are at least 20 - 30 dealers over here. Some online shops, some high-end cooking shops. The past few years, the egg is getting more and more popular, because a few well known chefs use the egg in their restaurants. Good food in general has become sort of a hype. Couldn't tell you how many egg-owners there are in the Netherlands, maybe 20.000? We're a nation of 17 million. Most people I talk to, haven't heard of the egg yet. 

Mind you: it's an expensive grill in the US, but even more so over here, probably because of shipping, customs, etc. I paid about 1200 euro for a large, plate setter, pizza stone and some extra's (that's about 1500 usd, and I even got myself a deal, so you can understand it's not too popular - most people think it's waaay too much money to pay 'for a grill'. That's the moment I start spreading the word about it not being just a grill, but also a smoker, pizza oven, etc. Usually when they've gotten a sample of the food, they know what I mean :)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Harpee I'd like to welcome you to the forum. I really enjoyed hearing how the egg is perceived In Your country. It's funny, I live in Southern California and I don't know a single person who owns an egg. That's why I love this forum so much. Again, welcome. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    welcome and enjoy your egg were do you get your lump?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I cook raised direct at 400 spatchcocked. 13 lb birds about 1.5 hours.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome @hapee !
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @happe, welcome to the eggdiction. I waited almost 20 years to get my first egg and resent not doing it sooner. I made good food on a gas grill, but didn't know how good food could cooked at home tell I got my egg. The questioned the cost tell I cooked on it and now she loves it. I have ftc'd a couple chickens for family dinners and they sat for a few hours and they were still very hot and juicy. Just follow what people have said on what to do for ftc and you should be good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hapee
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everybody! Looking forward to share my eggventures with you all :)

cook861 said:
    welcome and enjoy your egg were do you get your lump?
    There are several specialty online bbq-shops where I can get lump. Most of it is different from what you are using in the US (if I look at nakedwhizz's reviews of charcoal, there are hardly any brands I recognize). I mostly use Black Ranch from Argentina, or Dammers (South-African lump). I've tried a couple of different brands now, most of it is fine. :)
  • Hapee
    Hapee Posts: 7
    Options
    So, the story continues :) 

As it turns out, we're going to the in-laws the day before the dinner. So instead of a semi-cooked Turkey, I'll be transporting my large BGE - that 's the plan. I've been searching on the forum for tips & tricks on transport. I'll probably take off the dome and will try to secure the base with tie downs. Most important thing is finding someone with whom I can the egg it to my car. Pff, getting nervous already :( (would a 16 lbs Turkey fit in a small? then I'd have an excuse to get a second egg :P )
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @Hapee, I'm late to the party to welcome you here! Sorry bout that! Our niece has taught school at an "American school" there in the Netherlands for nearly 20 years now. Her butcher is an egg dealer and she was able to give him some hints and recipes I gave her to pass along. Here a couple years ago she attended a huge Eggfest held over there and sent pictures. It appeared most eggs were manned by professionals representing restaurants. She will be spending Christmas with us this year so I'll try to find out more. Welcome!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Hapee‌- I'm late as well, but welcome aboard. Glad to have you here.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hapee
    Hapee Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Nice to read about the Dutch eggs. Yeah, eggs are definitely a thing with some restaurants overhere. And of course among the real bbq-enthusiasts. They do competitions etc. BGE itself (the company I mean) holds a gathering every year - they call it a 'member day'. Haven't had the chance yet to go there, but it looks really good. Short impression here:

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Welcome Hapee- 

I would recommend the foil wrap and pull it off precisely when breast is 160F and thigh is 170F because when you pull it off, it'll still be cooking and temp will increase a few degrees.  Definitetly transport in an insulated cooler and I don't think you'll need to reheat

now, one other item that could eliminate all the risk but could create other issues is to get to in law's early and bring the LG along if you have the means to transport.  that may not work though!

Good luck