Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shade Sail over Big Green Egg - Am I crazy?

Options
2»

Comments

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    How did you screw in the sails to the roof? I've been looking at the 16" triangle one for my back deck and cant seem to figure out how I would screw these things in. Thanks.
    Birmingham, AL
  • HeathCave
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    Where did you order that fire resistant canopy? I'm looking for something like that.
    Good ol' Amazon.com! Just search one of a few things and you will find a lot of choices with a wide variety of prices and options. I searched these keywords to find them: Grill Canopy or BBQ Canopy, Grill Gazebo, or BBQ Gazebo. You can also look at the "Other Similar Items" (or something like that) option once you pull up one of the canopies. That will lead you into all sorts of options. But you have to make sure that whatever you are looking at is flame-resistant. The "similar items" aren't always made for grilling underneath. 

The one I bought was $75 plus shipping which was about $25. That is cheap and I hope it's not as cheap as I think it is going to be, but I was willing to buy cheap for now until I can do something more substantial later. For me, it was more about having the flame resistant cover than the frame anyway. 

There are options up into the $3000 range. Most are 8'x5' which is another reason why I went with the one I got (about 85" wide x 50" deep) because I also didn't want it to stick out 5' due to the narrow width of my patio. I didn't want to lose another foot walking around a canopy pole. 

Mine is supposed to get delivered today, so hopefully I can get it put together and up. If so, I'll post a pic of it. :D
    Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website
  • HeathCave
    HeathCave Posts: 69
    edited September 2014
    Options
    stonewh said:
    How did you screw in the sails to the roof? I've been looking at the 16" triangle one for my back deck and cant seem to figure out how I would screw these things in. Thanks.
    Well, I don't know if I did what a roofer or real handyman would suggest, but I'll tell you what I did anyway. I bounced it off of a couple of reliable and handy buddies and they agreed it would work. :-B 

I bought heavy duty stainless steel eye hooks with lag screw threads (see attached for similar, mine had less empty thread near the top) and some heavy duty silicone roof sealant (in the roofing section). I predrilled the hole for the eyehook (slightly smaller than the shaft-width), sealed it, then also applied sealant on the screw threads and screwed that into my roof right through the shingle and all. That was my "anchor". Then, seal everything up good with the sealant. 

The sails came with some hardware for attaching them, but it wasn't very good. They sent nylon rope to tie to the anchor from the turnbuckle they sent. I decided to forego the rope and I bought some braided cable (wire rope) and 16 sets of what's called a "Wire-Rope Clip & Thimble Set" (see attached) which is basically a couple of clamps that tighten and the other piece takes the binding pressure off of the cable when it passes through the eyehook, etc and keeps it from rubbing and severing eventually. I used one set of these on each end of my cable.

Once you have all of that put together (measured out etc), just set your anchor points based on the angles/size of your sails and then attach everything. Make sure you loosen the turnbuckle before you measure and hook to the anchors. The turnbuckles are what tighten up and pull everything taught. But, you want to have it pulled as tight as possible before you start tightening those. They are more for fine-tuning how tight the sails get.

I think that's it. I attached a pic (as good as I could run out and get) of the setup. Hope you can see it ok. 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I think the smoke will shorten the life of the canopies especially with the constant tension but I like the idea.  What a great space for an outdoor kitchen.  Looks great.  Posts like this are exactly why I love this site.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeathCave
    Options
    The canopy came in! I got it put together this afternoon, but forgot to take a pic. I snapped this right after chilling and enjoying the space for a few minutes this evening after the kiddos went to bed. I might grab another pic tomorrow morning before the sun gets too bright. 

You may notice that we also put some patio lights in. There's a nice evening atmosphere developing out there now! 
    ;)
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Once you've figured out where the heat is hitting the canopy....go buy some muffler tape at auto store and protect that area...GL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    That canopy looks nice. Any thoughts on it post assembly? Worth what you paid?
  • HeathCave
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    That canopy looks nice. Any thoughts on it post assembly? Worth what you paid?
    Let's just say the phrase "You get what you pay for" almost applies in this situation. It was $100 with shipping. With that said, I'd say it was well worth that. I knew that "cheap" was probably going to be the case and I was ok with it as a semi-temporary solution. 

Here's my quick "only had it less than 24 hours" review: The corner poles are about 1.5" thick and seem sturdy. The other framing is much thinner but it all seems fairly solid. It is all painted, not powder coated, and seem like they may scratch easily. Mine arrived missing some nuts for some of the bolts (I think they fell out of the package and slipped out of the box in shipping). Fortunately, I had some nuts and bolts that worked perfectly for what was needed. Assembly went well. My wife and I assembled it together. I'd recommend having two people on hand when assembling. 

Last note, several reviewers on Amazon mentioned having problems with rain runoff for the canopy and I can see how that might be a problem. The canopy seems like it could hold water on the back half of it. It needs to have another bar or two running across it. I will probably do something with PVC or wood to help with rain runoff on mine if it seems to be an issue. 

Here is the Amazon link to the one I purchased: 
  • HeathCave
    Options
    Ok, so not to beat a dead horse here, but here's a couple pics of the canopy and patio in the day light if someone wanted to see that...
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Looks great! I need something like that to cook under for the large!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.