Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven

Options
Looking at 7 qt ones. Should I get cast iron lodge or enamel coated. I read you shouldn't do tomatoe sauce in cast iron, or should I buy both lookin for pros an cons. Thanks

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cooked chili in my Lodge ci last night. I never worry about it. Buy big. You can always cook small in a large but not large in a small.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lakewade
    Options
    Get one.  Cast iron is good.  They are very versatile and we use our all the time - work great with the egg.  Use it for chili (no beans).

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    No, beans are good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lakewade
    Options
    henapple said:
    No, beans are good.
    Agreed - they are my favorite -  I just don't mix them in with my chili.  But would love to try your version.   

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I did buy the lodge 7 qt. but lookin online for recipes I got mixed reviews about sauce. Definetly gonna keep it but wondering if I should also get enamel for red sauce?
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Who has the best chili recipe? This should get interesting.I like spicy no beans
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    VERY spicy, beans required..................
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    'Dr BBQ - Raceday Chili' ... hit up youtube or the BGE website. Made it many times. Damn Good!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jscarfo
    Options
    Well check it out thanks
  • UncleFred
    Options
    My opinion?  Chili is made with meat.  The meatier the better.  If you add beans, I figure that you're making a burrito.

Honest disclosure requires that I mention that my wife does NOT share my opinion.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    IMHO, the difference (other than price) between enamelled and Cast Iron is the surface durability. You can chip an enamelled surface, not so much with a regular CI. I don't think cooking ascorbic acid items like tomatoes damages a non-enamelled pan, it may/does take some of the seasoning off. Re-seasoning is easy if required. For years CI has been used to cook tomatoes, to think all those CI pans at garage sales and estate sales never saw a tomato would be kinda ridiculous. If you are cooking at low temps and you are careful, the enamelled pan might be the one pan to buy. Otherwise Mother Lodge has a last a lifetime DO for you.    
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    My opinion?  Chili is made with meat.  The meatier the better.  If you add beans, I figure that you're making a burrito.

Honest disclosure requires that I mention that my wife does NOT share my opinion.
    And like all SWMBOs, she may not always be right, but she is never wrong!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    How do you think this race day chili would be with ground turkey meat?
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited September 2014
    Options
    UncleFred said:

And like all SWMBOs, she may not always be right, but she is never wrong!
    'Happy Wife ... Happy Life'.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Maxwell1331
    Options
    How do you think this race day chili would be with ground turkey meat?
    It works great with Turkey!
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have both and prefer the enamelled for tomatoes, ive had tomatoes strip the lodge prefinished seasoning off before. i do like a regular seasoned cast iron for things like potroast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have four Enameled DO. I keep meaning to get a regular one but I just never get around to it. The reason I like the Enameled over the regular is the food storage option. I like to let my chili "rest" overnight since the flavors develop more so I cook it in the E-DO and stick it in the fridge. The next day, I reheat it in the oven. That way the house smells great but I still have the egged taste.

You can cook acidic foods in a CI pan if it's well seasoned and you do it quickly. Otherwise, the acid eats away at the coating. My wife will make tomato sauce in the Lodge pan I have and leave it for me to have when I get home(about a hour later). The seasoning peels right off in places when I clean the pan, so I have to re-season it. I use the pan infrequently so I can never build up a good-enough base to handle the acid.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    I have four Enameled DO. I keep meaning to get a regular one but I just never get around to it. The reason I like the Enameled over the regular is the food storage option. I like to let my chili "rest" overnight since the flavors develop more so I cook it in the E-DO and stick it in the fridge. The next day, I reheat it in the oven. That way the house smells great but I still have the egged taste.

You can cook acidic foods in a CI pan if it's well seasoned and you do it quickly. Otherwise, the acid eats away at the coating. My wife will make tomato sauce in the Lodge pan I have and leave it for me to have when I get home(about a hour later). The seasoning peels right off in places when I clean the pan, so I have to re-season it. I use the pan infrequently so I can never build up a good-enough base to handle the acid.
    that is a good point about the enameled cookware, i had 6 quarts of chili in mine all weekend, stove top and fridge. this morning into a small tupperware for work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jscarfo
    Options
    So why even have a cast iron. What are the benefits over enamel
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2014
    Options
    jscarfo said:
    So why even have a cast iron. What are the benefits over enamel

Cant chip and costs less. Past that enamel is superior in every way. Costs WAY less mind you
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I once used a CI pot to reheat some leftover pulled pork which I had sauced with a vinegar based sauce.  Very metallic taste - ruined the pork.  I use or and aluminum for acidic foods, but CI for everything else.  I like that I can guiltlessly throw it on the grill, or go from stove to oven.  I am sure I would like the enameled CI, but am totally stocked with the standard Lodge.  FYI I have done Cowlick chili in CI on the grill with no ill effect.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I've got the lodge 7q and It's a beast. Sometimes I wish I had a smaller one too so I could use it with my AR.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Fellow Canuks may want to take advantage of this weeks sale of Cuisinart Dutch Ovens @ 75% off regular price at Cdn Tire They are Enameled Cast Iron inside & out (as opposed to the Kitchen Aid also on sale) I picked up the 3 Qt & 5 Qt sizes for $100 & saved $300. Happy Day.image
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Been wanting to thank you for the Can Tire tip as I picked up the 3&5
    qt in green. Took me this long to respond cuz this is how long it took to get approved here after 20-30 attempts. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba