Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE

Options
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some opinions & experiences regarding the small BGE as a potential present for my parents (I have the LBGE myself, this would be far too big for them)

couple of questions that spring to mind:
- can it do vertical chicken?
- any experiences with bread / pizza?
- can it do a 10hr+ low n slow without refuelling

Appreciate any comments. 

Comments

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    People do all the above on a mini, the small would be fine as well.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• SmyrnaGA
    Options
    I've hear some smalls doesn't get above 400 for indirect cooks. I picked up a used one last month that seems to be in that situation. For grilling or L&S, it's great! It comes to temp pretty quickly too.

Maybe its me. I didn't have all fresh lumps in there and I had just enough lumps to reach the top of the firebox. But, I do the same on the large and it can reach 500+ indirect. Someone more experienced with the small could shed more light.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

@cazzy has done some incredible low&slow cooks on a small.  I recently picked one up-have not done the L&S yet.  But based on several recommendations here, I did get an after-market charcoal (high-que) grate and have no issues with getting to high temps.  Also instead of the platesetter, I got the woo with 10" stone from the ceramic grill store for raised grid or indirect cooks.  FWIW-

Hopefully the seasoned SBGE eggsperts will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You can definitely do a vertical chicken. I have done a 7+ lb yardbird vertically.  I just used a pie pan on the grid to make it indirect and set the stand in the pan.  It was excellent. 

I haven't really done any long cooks personally because I typically use my large for low n slow simply because I am typically cooking larger quantities.  However, I have read many posts where people did 12+ hours.  

Similar with pizza- I haven't tried because I use my large.  I have had some issues with hitting higher temps but like @SmyrnaGA mentioned I think I just needed more lump.  Fill it past the fire box to get higher temps. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Outside of pizza, I've done everything you've mentioned on my small. I have easily gone 14 hours on the small without adding fuel. For long cooks, I usually fill up the lump to the middle of the fire ring. I also sort through my lump and use big pieces. Pizza/bread is possible, just haven't done it. I've done 3 racks of ribs on the small too. Brisket, pork butts, whole chicken, ribs, 10lb turkey, fajitas, steaks and much more. Tried a ton of stuff on it with great success.

I recommend the small woo and a high-que grate. I can easily achieve 700 on my small if I open her up (rarely do), so searing steaks at semi-nuclear temps is possible too.

As long as your pops gets a lil creative, there won't be much he can't do on a SBGE. Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, pizza can be done on the small. Here's proof.
    The small is a great little cooker.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I've hear some smalls doesn't get above 400 for indirect cooks. I picked up a used one last month that seems to be in that situation. For grilling or L&S, it's great! It comes to temp pretty quickly too. Maybe its me. I didn't have all fresh lumps in there and I had just enough lumps to reach the top of the firebox. But, I do the same on the large and it can reach 500+ indirect. Someone more experienced with the small could shed more light.

I have NO issues doing pizza at 700 indirect in my small...  Get a high que and clean out the ashes regularly and it will go nuclear just as well as my XL
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have only grilled on my small, just got my woo and stone for indirect cooks last week, but I pegged the thermometer last weekend cooking some steaks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yes, Yes, Yes
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some opinions & experiences regarding the small BGE as a potential present for my parents (I have the LBGE myself, this would be far too big for them)

couple of questions that spring to mind:

Appreciate any comments. 
    Another option would be the medium. I want s small or medium for my second egg, but am fine with CLASS for now.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    cazzy ...  THREE Racks of ribs! That's excatly what i wanted to hear. Now I HAVE to get one!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have the xl down to the mini. If the small was my only egg I would be pissed. I would get your parents a medium. I like my small, I dont love it. The medium is a fantastic egg. Just my opinion.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Small can do all things. Just give it a Hi-Que grate  :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    cazzy   ... your weekend adventures are awesome. I'm taking notes!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.