Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cazzy got bit by the bug...MONSTER CHOPS!!!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
As soon as I saw the chops @foghorn posted, I knew I was going to do them.  Each one weighs about 1.25 lbs!!   >:)  @ $42, I think i've found my replacement for steaks while beef prices are through the roof.  They're currently brining, but they'll be hitting the egg later tonight.   :D

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Wow! Those are chops!

Oh good Lord. That's just ridiculous!!!!

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Options

Oh good Lord. That's just ridiculous!!!!

Haha...very much so. =P~
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Always knew you had the chops for this kind of cook!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How you gonna do them? Reverse sear I would presume?

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great looking chops-and grab 'em now as the little piggy virus of a few months ago will work its way thru the food economy chain soon enough.  BTW-I'm guessing the beverage is a leaded coke container from their new marketing gig?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options

How you gonna do them? Reverse sear I would presume?

I was going to pan sear, then roast on the egg until cen reminded me that brined meat gets very very happy with smoke.

I now will reverse sear these bad boys.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Nice use of the coke can for perspective here, BTW.  I'm always impressed by your mad photog skillz.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options

Nice use of the coke can for perspective here, BTW.  I'm always impressed by your mad photog skillz.

Lol, I'm okay.

Yeah, I wanted to use something that everyone could easily compare them to. I'm giddy about this cook. I might just push the cook to tomorrow to make sure I have my sides on point. I also might incorporate a sauce...we'll see.

I feel like my window is tight and this is rushed cause we're going to watch Guardians of the Galaxy at 9 PM tonight. 2nd time for me already...don't tell my wife. :-\"
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @cazzy, Welcome to the Iowa Chop Club. The local pork producers serve them at the Iowa State Fair every year and they do a great job grilling them.  The Iowa Chop is a center cut pork chop at least 1 1/4" thick but usually more around here.  I'm suspecting @caliking will be along shortly to wish he were getting a bit of that action, they look great and I'm sure your culinary skills will give them their due.  Have a great meal.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cazzy
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌ I haven't forgot about the Central Park pic I owe you...it will come your way after your sabbatical.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @cazzy I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Pork chops are usually something I purchase as I tend to find them tough and dry and would think the thicker the more likely. BUT I've never done them on the egg. I did like the one time I did them sous vide, but I was the only one who preferred that rather than the ones my step-father usually does on the gasser. Can't wait to see how they turn out!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options

@cazzy, Welcome to the Iowa Chop Club. The local pork producers serve them at the Iowa State Fair every year and they do a great job grilling them.  The Iowa Chop is a center cut pork chop at least 1 1/4" thick but usually more around here.  I'm suspecting @caliking will be along shortly to wish he were getting a bit of that action, they look great and I'm sure your culinary skills will give them their due.  Have a great meal.

Thanks Betty! I'm really looking forward to becoming a member. That is a State Fair I'd love to attend!

I had a huge pork chop from Perry's Steakhouse, but never thought about getting after it until Foghorn reminded me that I should. If y'all have a Perry's Steakhouse, the Friday chop lunch special is a must do @ $11.95

http://youtu.be/JMrMOdFt7rg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    It must be something in the air. Everybody is on the pork kick. Even me. Got this going myself. That's some fine looking chops you got there. Can't wait to see them.imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

@cazzy I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Pork chops are usually something I purchase as I tend to find them tough and dry and would think the thicker the more likely. BUT I've never done them on the egg. I did like the one time I did them sous vide, but I was the only one who preferred that rather than the ones my step-father usually does on the gasser. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

I think I have talked myself into pushing the cook back to Sunday after church. So tune in then! :)

In regards to the dry results, I highly recommend brining them. Does wonders on chops...and chicken. Also, shoot for about 140-145 internal then serve them up. I don't do a scheduled rest anymore as they will get their time in while everyone is getting their plate ready.

Simple brine recipe

1 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 gallon water

Cook on your stove top till the salt and sugar dissolves, then refridgerate. Many cut the water and add ice or cold water to bring the temp down quicker. You want the brine cool before you add protein.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,474
    Options
    Nice use of the coke can for perspective here, BTW.  

Agreed, but what's with the "Buddy" logo on the can?  
    :-??

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Hey yo "Buddy" those are some wicked thick chops! Heck ya man! Very nice 4sho!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    Botch said:
    Nice use of the coke can for perspective here, BTW.  

Agreed, but what's with the "Buddy" logo on the can?  
    :-??
    It's Coca-Cola's Share a Coke marketing campaign.  
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Very nice pics!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I think I have talked myself into pushing the cook back to Sunday after church. So tune in then! :) In regards to the dry results, I highly recommend brining them. Does wonders on chops...and chicken. Also, shoot for about 140-145 internal then serve them up. I don't do a scheduled rest anymore as they will get their time in while everyone is getting their plate ready. Simple brine recipe 1 cup salt 1/2 cup sugar 1 gallon water Cook on your stove top till the salt and sugar dissolves, then refridgerate. Many cut the water and add ice or cold water to bring the temp down quicker. You want the brine cool before you add protein.

That should have read I DON't usually buy chops. Oops. Thanks for the tips...will have to try soon!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @cazzy nice chops. Do rinse after the brine period?
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • cazzy
    Options
    @cazzy nice chops. Do rinse after the brine period?
    Yep!  I rinsed them good, then put them on a sheet pan with a rack.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I rinse too. I forgot on some chicken last week and it got super dark. The brine is like smoke glue. It tasted pretty good but looked like it was dragged through a fire...wait..I guess it was but that's not the point. Did not look good at all.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those are some beautiful chops! I'm mad jelly. Where did you get them?

And yes the Perry's pork chop is porktastic poetry on a plate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

Those are some beautiful chops! I'm mad jelly. Where did you get them?

And yes the Perry's pork chop is porktastic poetry on a plate.

I'm in Beeville right now. Got them from the town staple, Elder's Country Store & Market.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    So you tease us and now we gotta wait til tomorrow?

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Options

So you tease us and now we gotta wait til tomorrow?

That wasn't my intention at all, but it just worked out better for my schedule the more I thought about it. So yeah, a definite tease!! :D
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well we'll be waiting. I still got half a loin left that I didn't use. I'll cut it up and do chops tomorrow. We'll have a "pork chop sunday".

Little Rock, AR

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    How long do you brine pork? I brine poultry all the time but have never tried a pork brine.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter