Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My SBGE Weekend Adventure - 3rd Edition

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
At it again with the small!  This is definitely the lil engine that could!   ;)  That being said, I look forward to picking up my FIL's XL in Salado 2015.   :D

I told the wifey that I wasn't going to cook this weekend I was just going to relax.  Then the FIL texted me and asked if I was cooking this weekend, then said noted that he would pay for any meat I bring.  Why the hell not...I don't know how to go any other way but hard.   :P

Friday Dinner - Pork Tenderloin

Time to celebrate our Independence!!

Saturday Lunch - Ribs

Saturday Dinner - New York Strips

Happy early birthday to my lil dude!   :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• cazzy
    Options
    Next up at the plate is a 11# Prime packer.    :-\"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Excellent job especially with the small egg. Tell the little guy hope he has a very Happy Birthday and I wish him many, many more. Outstanding cook! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Those ribs look awesome! Happy birthday to your son! :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Superb ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Is he July 4th or 5th? I have great news if it's July 4th. He shares a birthday with the great Mr. Al Davis.
  • cazzy
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Is he July 4th or 5th? I have great news if it's July 4th. He shares a birthday with the great Mr. Al Davis.
    Neither...he's July 13th.  His grandparents won't see him next weekend, so he gets two parties.   :D 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @BYS1981‌
    Glad you made the point about the great Al Davis like a true Raider fan my friend. My youngest sons Birthday is the 16th which is the anniversary of the first nuclear explosion ever. The Trinity device was tested and exploded on July 16th 1949. Most of y'all was around then.
    My apologies to @cazzy‌ for straying off topic here. Again your cook looks excellent.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Meals look fantastic! And of course as always, so do your pictures!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    "I told the wifey I wasn't going to cook this weekend"
    =)) Great looking cooks..Happy birthday to your son..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Happy Birthday to your son!!!! Great looking cooks!!!!! I have a small also. Is that a  woo u have there? Just got a woo yesterday and mine has the handles. Like the u way u made the ribs work. How often did u have to rotate them? Have a great day.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• cazzy
    Options
    Jebpot said:

Happy Birthday to your son!!!! Great looking cooks!!!!! I have a small also. Is that a  woo u have there? Just got a woo yesterday and mine has the handles. Like the u way u made the ribs work. How often did u have to rotate them? Have a great day.

Yeah...it's a woo. I was lucky enough to get the one without handles...it's a lil harder to get out but gives you a lil more grid space.

Cooking on the small isn't ideal for most proteins, but you can accomplish a lot with a imagination. With ribs, I overlap them until they hit an hour. By the time, the muscle tissue will firm up and will allow you to stand them up. After doing so, I'll rotate them about every hour as the ribs on the outside can darken up on ya. The ribs were my best yet off the small.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I am still amazed the amount of food you cooked on the small BGE .. Wow!
    Excellent cooks!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks for info. Have the plate sitter for small. Just hard to work with, hoping the woo with stone is easier. Also looks like it will get more air flow. I am using the small more than xl lately.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice work on the small!  =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Great looking cooks but that little fellow keeps getting cuter. Precious! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great looking cook! The pics were as always superb in Caz fashion. Nicely done man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    @cazzy, I would struggle to cook that much food on my LBGE  Amazing!  How many people are you cooking for?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cazzy
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    @cazzy, I would struggle to cook that much food on my LBGE  Amazing!  How many people are you cooking for?  
    10 for the steaks and 8 for the other meals.   :)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cooks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Very impressive Caz! Can't believe he amount of food you did on the Small. How many rounds of steaks did you do? Also, would love to know the different rubs on the Pork Tenderloins.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    OK you have some skill...
    Jacksonville FL
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Nice job! Those ribs are making my mouth water!
    GWN
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    very nice!!!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• cazzy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Very impressive Caz! Can't believe he amount of food you did on the Small. How many rounds of steaks did you do? Also, would love to know the different rubs on the Pork Tenderloins.
    For the steaks, I seared each off on the egg, then roasted them on the gasser.  After each were seared, several got to spend time roasting on the egg.  Only way to get that many steaks done at once.  

In regards to the pork tenderloin, they were seasoned with the following:

• Head Country Championship Seasoning
    • Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Steak Seasoning
    • Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub
    • Homebrew - Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder

Everyone seemed to like the Oakridge and Homebrew rub the most.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Amazing the amount of food you cram on that small, Inspiration for me to try more on the small, Happy Birthday to the lil dude, my oldest just turned 5 - what a great time of life.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• cazzy
    Options
    Brisket coming along great!  Much better than my first attempt on the small.

It's amazing how much this guy shrank, but that's prime for ya.  I would love to see a time lapse of it...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    You suck. Every time you do a post I feel like taking a hammer to my egg. :-w
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Most eggcellent and I'm sure that brisket will cap the whole cooking adventure.  Impressive that you can run the small on one load of lump for the brisket cook.  And I recall this is not your first SBGE brisket rodeo.  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Pretty impressive. I wouldn't have thought you could get that much out of a small. Outstanding results. Its almost as if you've done it before  =D>
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Some awesome cooks there. These cooks would be difficult for me to do on a large!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site