Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs - first try

Options
Maccool
Maccool Posts: 191
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum

Ribs from Costco. Pleural membrane apparently already removed. Coated with some French's mustard then Dizzy Dust. Indirect on the grill (no rack), temp at about 250 (low as I could go without the fire going out). Cooked for two hours, lightly misting with some apple juice/cider vinegar every 30 minutes or so. Then, at two-hour mark, transfer to a foil pan tightly covered with some apple juice/cider vinegar in the pan for one hour at 225, then cook uncovered at 250 and basted with some Ray's Vidalia sauce for an hour. They were fall-off-the-bone tender. I realize that's not classic, but the ribs were a huge hit and the tenderness a big source of admiring comments, so I consider that a winner. They weren't even the slightest bit dry.

Next time I'm going to try a different rub and a less sweet sauce. I'm also going to cook that last hour at a higher temp to get a more carmelized glaze. I'm thinking that kind of glaze may add some chew to these very tender ribs.

Meal was the ribs, creamed corn, gruyere-based mac&cheese, cornbread with jalapeno and pancetta. I also grilled up some sockeye salmon on cedar with a lemon-dill baste for my daughter, who isn't a barbecue type of person.

imageimage

Comments

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Nice cook. Those look great! B-Backs right?
    If the people you are feeding love it, then that is all that matters. I know that is how it is with me.
    I find that most people I feed think they like ribs falling off the bone tender. But I try not to serve them that way. And you know what they always love them.

I cooked 3 slabs of bb's yesterday. Went 275ish indirect, used drip-pan with liquid, went 3 hours, then wrapped individually with very little cran-apple juice. Back on egg for another hour. Removed pan and plate-setter and went raised direct for about half hour while mopping with bbq hickory sauce. Not fall-off-bone but everyone loved them. YEAH!

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options

Yeah, I'm thinking that a little more chew would probably be a good thing. I'm going to bump the temps a little for the next cook, but I do have to play to my audience. I also like the cran-apple juice idea - I'm thinking that that might supply the acid for the baste without the sourness of the cider vinegar. That would give me a little more freedom in choice of sauce. The Ray's was a little on the sweet side. But again....audience...

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Fantastic looking BB's ... I've done the spritzing, apple juice , basting route. Now ... I just put em' on the egg, set my temp for 250 for 5 hrs - opening the lid ZERO times. Perfect every time.

Oh ... GREAT PICTURES!

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice looking bb great job
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Really great looking ribs.... Nice pics.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Awesome looking ribs. The pics look spectacular as well. Solid all around.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice- I need to make some soon, they are my oldest daughters favorite.
    Greensboro, NC