Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planked Sockeye Salmon & Mashed Potatoes

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Managed to get a quick cook in before my big guy's baseball game tonight.

Dusted the salmon with Dizzy Pig Raging River. Place a few lemon slices on top.

Have been wanting to try planked mashed potatoes and finally got a chance.

Went on raised direct around 400*. I first warmed the plank for the salmon for 3 minutes, then flipped it and put the salmon on. I skipped this step for the mashed potatoes plank. Also tossed a basket of green beans with just S&P on.

Came out really good, will be doing the mashed potatoes like that again.

Happy Friday everyone, have a great weekend!

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Now that is a new way to try mashed potatoes.  Did they taste any different?  What kind of plank?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @jcaspary I'm not sure if the cedar plank imparted much flavor to the mashed potatoes, but I really liked the slightly crisp
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Brother that looks par excellent by any measure or standard. I sure like that big ole hunk of salmon lying on the grid!! Solid all the way around brother W!! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I love the lemon trick as well!!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great looking meal... ^#(^ how long did the potatoes take on the plank?
  • BJL
    BJL Posts: 10
    Options
    looks GREAT!! need recipe I.E. seasonings, cooking times, heat settings? Thanks! BJL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great cook.  Been wanting to cook some salmon lately.

How were the potatoes?  Did they dry out at all?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    nice way to do mashed potaotes
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    grilled plank mashed taters

brilliant!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Dillonjm
    Options
    @DMW Love RR on salmon, nice cook. Never seen or tried plank mash tatters either. They will be going on the list for the next salmon cook. Very nice..
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I like the idea of potatoes on the plank. I love twice baked potatoes, but they're time consuming. This method seems so much easier.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    Options
    @BJL Thanks! 
    First soak the planks in water for at least an hour.

Recipe for the salmon was pretty simple. Dizzy Pig Raging River for seasoning. Place 1/4" thick lemon slices on the salmon. Place the plank on the egg setup at 400* raised to felt line or slightly above with direct heat. Heat plank for 3 minutes, then flip plank and place salmon on plank. I pulled the plank off the egg to do this step. Egg until the fish flakes in the center with a fork and you see the white stuff (albumin) start to ooze out. This took about 20 or 25 minutes tonight.

Mashed potatoes SWMBO made up this afternoon while I was working. Standard mashed potatoes with salt/pepper, some milk and butter. I would get creative with them, but our kids like them pretty basic. I put the potatoes on the plank just before putting the plank on the egg. They were on the egg about the same amount of time as the salmon. Once they started to brown nicely I pulled them.

Nope, the potatoes didn't dry out. I really liked the crispy outside that browned nicely. I'm thinking drizzling a little extra melted butter on them just before putting them on the egg would give a nice touch as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Strong cook!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BJL
    BJL Posts: 10
    Options
    going to try both, Thanks!
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I was re reading this post and now I'm craving salmon!!!

Status- Standing by.

• ShadowNick
    Options
    Looks fantastic! Note on the taters from my own experiences... If you want to mound up more than that amount, definitely let the mashed potatoes sit in the fridge overnight for the starches to set, so you don't end up with a mess of mash potato coated coals from them running off the plank. Learned that one the hard way.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great looking meal.  I starting mixing mashed potatoes and yams years ago.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN