Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Raining Rockwood. Thanks to Thatgrimguy

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel‌
    I have to agree my friend. That made my day getting that RW.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,363
    Options
    Holy hell that's a lot of wood, brother!  I'm about to break into my first of six bags of Fogo!  Can't wait to see what you do with that stuff!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Brother I'm finally out of those stupid safety classes. Tomorrow I will be back on the forum cooking in full force with a vengeance!! Got a clod and another brisket about ready to load. The RW has arrived and the countdown is about over my friend! Look out brother. I'm back!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Love both OO and RW... Though I like the 10# OO bag from a space management point of view... Easier to store in my garage and on my deck.
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    I agree. They are par excellent my friend. In a league of their own in my opinion.

Status- Standing by.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    hapster said:
    Love both OO and RW... Though I like the 10# OO bag from a space management point of view... Easier to store in my garage and on my deck.
    We have 10# bags too......you will not see many of them outside of St. Louis though.  They're mainly for the smaller city grocery stores and butcher shops here in town, but a few other of state dealers carry them.  The 20's are a better value--because it's twice the paper and labor in a pallet of 10's for the same amount of charcoal.
  • SGH
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌
    I love the 20's. Keep them coming!!!

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

hapster said:

We have 10# bags too......you will not see many of them outside of St. Louis though.  They're mainly for the smaller city grocery stores and butcher shops here in town, but a few other of state dealers carry them.  The 20's are a better value--because it's twice the paper and labor in a pallet of 10's for the same amount of charcoal.

It would be awesome if Firecraft carried the 10# bag option.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I just bought two 20lb bags of RW from Firecraft . First thing I did was use it that afternoon .The only thing I can say about RW is that evening I ordered 5 more 20 pounders from Firecraft .Should have them tomorrow . WOW that stuff gives new meaning to the term "good charcoal" .Don't know what I'm going to do with all the Royal Oak and that Lousy Frontier I still have .The only good thing to say about Frontier is that it was cheap . Royal Oak is ok but it is nowhere in the league of Rockwood. Wish I did not spend the $9.99 shipping for first two bags of RW and gone with a 5 bag load and the free shipping in the beginning.
  • Bbquru
    Options
    Is there a distributor/group buy network near pensacola, FL? Only thing available here is RO and BGE brand.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Bbquru said:
    Is there a distributor/group buy network near pensacola, FL? Only thing available here is RO and BGE brand.

Yes, any Ace Hardware in the southeastern US can order 20# bags of Rockwood using SKU# 8400772.  I looked at my list--none of the stores around Pensacola have ordered any yet, but it's available to them on their weekly truck delivery from their regional distribution warehouse.  Just call the nearest one to you, order a bag or two, and they'll have it in a few days.

If I had the time I'd drive it down there......would love to hit up Joe Patti's fish market.  I was in Atlanta then Columbus GA for a few hours last week--got some catfish and shrimp, but still not as good as fresh.    

• Bbquru
    Options
    Awesome info. I will give them a call today. I moved down here from NY a year ago and am a seafood convert because of Joe Patti's! Especially the snapper, grouper and shrimp which comes in on the boat each morning.
  • Rabidgoose
    Options
    stlcharcoal What about a Ace Hardware in Michigan, do they have the same ability to get it or is it a regional thing?

thanks......chuck
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    stlcharcoal What about a Ace Hardware in Michigan, do they have the same ability to get it or is it a regional thing?

thanks......chuck

Nope, just the ones in the southeast work like that.  But, we can drop ship pallets to other stores anywhere else in the country.

We have two dealers in MI--one NW of Detroit and in Lansing.

• Rabidgoose
    Options

thanks......chuck

Nope, just the ones in the southeast work like that.  But, we can drop ship pallets to other stores anywhere else in the country.

We have two dealers in MI--one NW of Detroit and in Lansing.

Okay, thanks.  Yeah I saw the two places but I don't get to the D or Lansing very often (quite a ways from me).  Might just have to do a road trip next year and catch an eggfest and get a pallet.
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm glad to see other folks wanting to try OO and RW. You will not be disappointed my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I really hope that it is good and not just hype! My wife is ready to kill me!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SGH
    Options
    @QDude‌
    It's not hype my friend. It's the real deal. You will not be disappointed at all.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    You know that "BGE Taste" that you hear people complain about from time to time?  This completely eliminates that.  Rockwood is the perfect burning, tasteless charcoal. 

if you want smoke, add it. Don't want it. don't.  I LOVE ROCKWOOD!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    My tests confirmed your above statement 100%. RW is the "real deal" for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm confused,,, the truck isn't full. Why didn't you get more??
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    Options
    He caught me!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm stocking up on lump for the winter can I buy OO and RW from that one place with free shipping on orders over a 100 dollars...and why am I drawing a freaking blank

• SGH
    Options
    @bearBGE‌
    Ask @Thatgrimguy‌ the details. He is the fine fellow that hooked me up. I honestly don't know the details.

Status- Standing by.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,823
    Options
    SGH one question. How come you loaded up the cab and not the bed?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SGH
    Options
    @td66snrf‌
    Thunderstorms my friend. It rained most of the way home coming up hwy 67. Glad I put as much as I could up front.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    He caught me!!!!
    I laughed!! No one else knows what the heck you are talking about!

@bearbge  you are trying to think of firecraft.com
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    No they don't! I guess that I should tell them though!!

Status- Standing by.