Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane Torch

Options
When watching a YouTube video, the cook used a hand held propane torch to start his charcoal.  Does anyone else do that?  It seemed much easier than pulling out an extension cord and using an electric starter or hot air unit.  (I'm currently using starter blocks)  Thanks!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Weed Burner is what you need. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    +1 on the weed burner. Harbour Freight $20

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    I have made something myself that works quite nicely if you have an extra propane tank laying around. Gas regulator with a brass female adapter connected to it, then a male adapter with a piece of rubber tubing over that and a copper tube at the end, clamp both sides of tubing down and there you have it. Can just place the copper in your coal and wait.
    Birmingham, AL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Check out the Bernzomatic JT850. Can use either Map Pro gas, for super fast starts, or propane. The long barrel keeps the nozzle about 3' away, but overall, its light and small enough that its a lot like carrying a cane.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    When I'm in a surefire hurry I will use this. I prefer this style for safety over my previous model whereby the tank was held upside down and therefore right above the intense flame! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stevesails
    Options
    Weed burner
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Standard handheld mapp or propane torch- works like a charm and lights for 6 months or more on a single tank and I use it 2-3 times a week
    Greensboro, NC
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I use a hand held butane torch from tractor supply. $9.99 and does a great job. I do add starter blocks if in a hurry. Which is most of the time.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    WAR said:
    When watching a YouTube video, the cook used a hand held propane torch to start his charcoal.  Does anyone else do that?  It seemed much easier than pulling out an extension cord and using an electric starter or hot air unit.  (I'm currently using starter blocks)  Thanks!

I use a MAPP torch, usually with some Weber paraffin blocks. Works well. I also occasionally use my weed torch. Very cool, and satisfyingly dramatic.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Get one of these. image
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I'm a die hard electric starter fan, but I do not use an extension cord - ever. My outlet is within 14" of my egg, 8 minutes and its going, second burn lump ready in 6 minutes or less. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    Get one of these. image

+1 on the benzo
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like using the electronic element, because I don't want to keep buying propane. It gives me time to get some prep work done.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • chashans
    Options
    Weed burner.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    I like using the electronic element, because I don't want to keep buying propane. It gives me time to get some prep work done.

I cook at least two times per week and it's been over a year on a single tank. "Keep buying" means less than one tank per year for me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I've done oil/paper towel, starter cubes, electric element, Mapp torch and weed burner. The weed burner wins without question. Plus it's just plain awesome to use.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I've done oil/paper towel, starter cubes, electric element, Mapp torch and weed burner. The weed burner wins without question. Plus it's just plain awesome to use.

@WeberWho?‌ Where do you get a weed burner like that? Do you need a special adapter to hook it up to a portable propane bottle? I have a weed burner, but it's big and clunky and I only use it for burning weeds because it's a PITA.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2014
    Options
    stemc33 said:

WeberWho? said:

@WeberWho?‌ Where do you get a weed burner like that? Do you need a special adapter to hook it up to a portable propane bottle? I have a weed burner, but it's big and clunky and I only use it for burning weeds because it's a PITA.

I gave this weed burner to my dad for his birthday and he have it back to me like this for Christmas. My dad is a mechanical designer/engineer by trade. He didn't like the idea how you have to lug around the big lp tank with it. So he came up with an adapter on the lathe that will hook up with smaller propane bottles. Works handy when tailgating, camping, fests, etc. I use my other weed burner with the lp tank when at home.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • KennyLee
    Options
    Also use a Bernzo torch, but mine will take map or propane. I go with the propane because it's cheaper (about $3 a bottle) and works fine.  Best way to go in my opinion.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fruitguy
    Options
    I use the BernzOmatic torch.  Lights super quick and uses the little camp stove propane tanks.  Not quite as aggressive as a full blown weedburner.
  • wkearney99
    Options
    MAPP works great.  I'm still on my first canister and it's been used more than 2 dozen times.
  • uwing
    uwing Posts: 70
    Options
    The only thing I dint like abour using a touch is getting smoked out, going to have to try the weed burner
  • wkearney99
    wkearney99 Posts: 23
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah, there's the smoked-out problem, that's true.  But it's not really that bad for me on our XL.  It doesn't really take all that long to get it going.  By the time there's enough smoke to be an issue it's pretty much already going.  I have had to occasionally stoke it a bit using a Fi-Air handheld blower, but not too often.  I generally put a chunk of wood in the back/center and pile the lump alongside in a horseshoe shape along the outside of BGE.  I torch the chunk and then the two ends of the horseshoe.

An important thing to remember is there needs to be good bottom-up airflow.  I make sure there's no ash blocking from below and to use bigger pieces of lump on the bottom.  If you have a lot of little pieces (like from a left-over cook) you want to make sure they're not packed so tight as to prevent convection airflow from stoking the fire on it's own.
  • cactus_darrell
    cactus_darrell Posts: 68
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use weed burner from Harbor Freight. Only issue is lump popping and actually will shoot hot chips out everywhere. could possibly start a fire if not careful. Also burn holes in your clothing and burn the hair on your head.  Almost got one in my eye. Been there done that, I close the lid now and hold torch, while  moving around the lump to light.  yoweee

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• wkearney99
    Options
    I find some lump pops worse than others.  Wicked Good charcoal burns nicely and has minimal issues with popping.  Some stuff a neighbor gave me was practically a fireworks show by comparison.  I think it was some Harris Teeter store branded stuff.  Once lit it was fine.
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    I find some lump pops worse than others.  Wicked Good charcoal burns nicely and has minimal issues with popping.  Some stuff a neighbor gave me was practically a fireworks show by comparison.  I think it was some Harris Teeter store branded stuff.  Once lit it was fine.
    That may very well be,  so far I have noticed with 4 different lumps.  Once it is lit, it is fine. I would still exercise caution with this method of starting lump.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• wkearney99
    Options
    I would still exercise caution with this method of starting lump.
    Agreed.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Get one of these. image
    I have a Weller soldering torch, but it has a bigger handle than the benzo shown that will store propane, so after spinning it on to the bottle, you can remove it and it will have enough gas to last a while without the weight of the bottle.  I have never tried it to light lump, maybe I should give it a try sometime.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

+++ on the bernzomatic weed torch from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413465313&sr=8-1&keywords=bernzomatic+weed+torch

$38 with free 2 day shipping (thank you Prime).  There is a major safety advantage of this torch over others - the long barrel keeps your delicate parts out of harm's way.  Additionally, since it is attached to the cylinder, there is no juggling required.  I use MAPP for much hotter flame than propane, and a $10 cylinder lasts 3-4 months using 3-4 times/week.  Light up in under a minute!!!  I also have a Looftlighter, that is now buried at the bottom of my Q-storage box.  It hasn't seen the light of day since I started using the  MAPP torch. 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have both a Weed Burner for the Larges and Torch for the Mini.....Can use the Torch in both but not the Weed Burner (don't ask)......

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.