Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone quality

Options
Does it matter? Do I need to be picky about what I buy (for actually making pizzas)? Recommendations for a med egg taking into account the price vs quality curve?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This is one instance where it's hard to go wrong with BGE stones. They are par excellent for high heat applications. I have test fired mine along with the Rutland gasket at temps in excess of 1,250 degrees. Neither the stone or the gasket blinked. Can't ask for much better than that.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I will be buying one in 2 weeks after my pizza cooking class. I've been told that other stones aren't made to handle the high heat like the BGE stones. I've priced others, but I'm not sure it has the same lifetime warranty as the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I agree on the BGE stone. It's thickness is what sets it apart from others. Plus, it's the same material as the egg.
  • EggPlant
    Options
    I use the large bge stone for my medium.
    Mundelein, IL
  • SGH
    Options
    Sometimes saving a little money up front can really cost you in the end. Again I've never tried the other stones but I did test my BGE stone along with the Rutland gasket at temps that you will never achieve when cooking. That was proof enough for me to stick with BGE stones for extremely high temperature services. I highly recommend them. If a lot of pizza cooks are in your future you may want to consider the Rutland gasket as well. It sure makes life much easier. Good luck.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    My Big Green Egg stone holds up to 700 no problem.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Cazzy told me pampered chef was the only way to go.

Little Rock, AR

• llrickman
    Options

Oh thats just sooo wrong lol

I use one from CGS and have had no problems with it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    what did you do to @Cazzy to make him so mad at you to recommend a pampered chef stone?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hah yes I want quality. But I don't want to lay extra after the quality levels off. Seems most of you like the BGE stone. Do y'all know of good BGE stores around Tampa? Our pool store is a distributor but they don't seem all that knowledgeable
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Probably my charming personality.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    You have a wonderful personality my friend. My family thought the world of you.

Status- Standing by.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    +1 BGE stone

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Kiln shelf inexpensive & handle 1200°
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Probably my charming personality.
    but something happened...did your son break his car window maybe?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Shhhhhhhh. I don't think he knows about that.

Little Rock, AR

• Roadpuke0
    Options
    +1 bge stone
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I'd recommend the BGE stone or there is a new soapstone product that's called Quark I think that's sold by my dealer. Both take high heat well and won't break. The Pampered chef supposedly doesn't.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Just for the record, I was totally joking around about cazzy and the pampered chef stone. DO NOT buy a pampered chef stone and cazzy never told me to get one.

Little Rock, AR

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think I heard that space shuttle tiles made in mexico are the way to go. 
    :))
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Which one is the best value for the money? CGS or BGE.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Just my opinion BGE due to the warranty. You break it and they replace it if I'm not mistaken. That's pretty hard to beat.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    But I haven't had one to break yet.^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• bf1644
    Options
    Grate Grills & More in Oldsmar is a nice store also check local Pinch a Penny stores in Tampa alot of them carry the Eggs
    Clearwater Fl
    LGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @bf1644‌
    Brother we had a Grate Grills & More here in Biloxi and they shut it down for some reason. It was a awesome store to say the least. I hated to see it go. Matter of fact it was where I purchased my large egg. Don't know what happened as it seemed to do quite a bit of business.

Status- Standing by.

• Gogogordy
    Options
    Some of the replies here are predictably predictable. I own both a BGE pizza stone, as well as a California Pizza Stone pizza stone. I wouldnt swear to the BGE stone being borne of the same material as the BGE itself, nor do I think it matters but I will say that the California pizza Stone is both thicker, and *appears* to be more porous than my BGE stone. That said, while Ive had good success with both, I prefer the finished product from the California Pizza Stone product...seeing them side by side reveals the difference in the ceramics between the two, and for whatever reason they seem to cook differently. YMMV
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I use the "P-word" pizza stone on my lg bge. It It's nice and thick and has a glazed finish on top. I've been using it for 9 years. Handles high heat cooks. Not broken yet. The 16" size fits perfect on my large. I really like it. Not sure "P" makes a med size.
    For those that may not know what "P-word" I'm talking about it's Primo not Pampered Chef
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I do have a pampered chef stone I've used twice on my egg before I learned of them breaking, but mine is certainly not what I would consider thick. I didnt cook at nuclear temps so I didnt have any problems.

Little Rock, AR

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The site below recommends a 16 inch stone for the large BGE. About the only game in town for that size is the ceramic grill store. I don't thing BGE makes them that size. The CGS is cheaper as http://nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I cook pizza at 600 and here is my set up, it's the pizza Que from William & Sonoma. Legs up, grate, pizza que, no DW on my XL. The third photo is well done/burned which is my favorite.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE