Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome thermo

Options
Mine is shot. Probably the clean burn where alcohol forgot to tell me to remove it. I cooked all weekend winging it.

Best replacement?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Tel-Tru hands down. Here's the link - I prefer the 200 to 1,000 ones.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thanks
  • canmorenick
    Options
    I saw an XXL the other day and it had a really cool oversize one...I want to put one on my large.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I like the 200-1000ºF Tel-Tru as well. Great for Pizza or other high temp cooks.  One issue is that the dial is small and hard to read unless close by (I no longer have eagle eyes like some of you).  I like the large dial BGE thermo for lower temp cooks. I set the target temp to the 12o'clock position, and I can see if the temp has strayed from quite a distance (I haven't joined the modern age of remote thermos yet!).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• captjo
    Options
    Go with the new XXL dome therm...my over 40 eyeballs LOVE it!
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @henapple-you might try your dealer and a warranty replacement; something about the fog of cooking caused it to fail.  I know my dealer carries the Tel-Tru for BGE thermo.  But you can also go straight to tel-tru.  http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx Don't know their prices, though. (Edit-I skimmed right over @RRP's link-sorry 'bout that.) FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mine are losing their responsiveness.... It takes a while.

I too think I've left em on a burn clean.

Holding out until they really are toast.
    Seattle, WA
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Got mine on amazon. Identical!

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Mine are losing their responsiveness.... It takes a while.

I too think I've left em on a burn clean.

Holding out until they really are toast.

That's why I bought the backup. Digi q is off by 25F and after 30 min they are identical readings (I clip mine probe to the thermo)
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    While we're on this subject and not to hijack but has anyone drilled the hole in the dome to 1/4"?
    Tel True has some really nice 3" and larger 1000°F units but they all have larger stems and would not fit the standard hole. The larger dial would be a nice upgrade.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    Options
    I wouldn't if it's under warranty however, it would be easy to do. The ceramic isn't that hard.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I got a tel tru from amazon. It was 6in long and not useable.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My tel tru was the BGE edition $3? on amazon prime got in two days, perfect size

I saw the five inch stem cheaper
  • RRP
    Options
    henapple said:
    I wouldn't if it's under warranty however, it would be easy to do. The ceramic isn't that hard.

+1 - read it being done several times on Greeneggers. But it will void the warranty. A drill bit meant for ceramics will fly through it with ease, but don't horse it let the drill bit do the work. And BTW you don't need an impact (hammer) drill to do it either! Even an old hand turned egg-beater drill will get the job done with the ceramic drill bit.
  • henapple
    Options

TWSS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I just watched a video where a guy installed a digital make shift thermostat (looked ghetto as h3ll)! I like the glow in the dark yell Tel-Tru but, don't see the option for the BGE version. + it would be nice to have it go to 1000 ℉ on the glow in the dark version. I also saw Amazon has the BGE Tel-Tru available for purchase as well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    henapple said:
    TWSS

Haha
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    6" is what you tell your wife/girl friend! Please measure it again and I bet you will find it is just 5". When I bought 3 Tel-Trus the 5" was the only stem length available, but at that time the BGE thermometer was 4" long. I used a wooden toy wheel as a backer which was 1/2" thick and quit worrying about the other half inch. I have yet to ever bend a single one due to that extra half inch! BTW BGE has only been using the stubby 3" ones for a few short years!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    RRP said:

6" is what you tell your wife/girl friend! Please measure it again and I bet you will find it is just 5". When I bought 3 Tel-Trus the 5" was the only stem length available, but at that time the BGE thermometer was 4" long. I used a wooden toy wheel as a backer which was 1/2" thick and quit worrying about the other half inch. I have yet to ever bend a single one due to that extra half inch! BTW BGE has only been using the stubby 3" ones for a few short years!

I'll never not worry about the other half inch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I knew it would only be a matter of time....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    Not so much time as length. Time is a whole other subject.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Matter of time haha...So is there a 3inch Tel-Tru that reads to 1000degrees that doesnt need to be modified to fit and is no longer then 5 inches?
    Austin, Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options