Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 lb turkey

Options
best method for a large bird?  Indirect at 350?  7-8 hours?
LBGE, Paris, KY.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    How many people?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• hashissmokin
    Options
    15.  it's a 20 lb bird
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are cooking it "whole" then I would highly recommend going indirect. 20 pounds is a lot of mass to be trying to manage over direct heat. I would not recommend it unless you are very proficient and practiced at it. Indirect my friend. Save the direct cooks for smaller birds. Just my thoughts.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hashissmokin
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you are cooking it "whole" then I would highly recommend going indirect. 20 pounds is a lot of mass to be trying to manage over direct heat. I would not recommend it unless you are very proficient and practiced at it. Indirect my friend. Save the direct cooks for smaller birds. Just my thoughts.
    Thanks.  Those were my thoughts too.  I have seen many videos of people doing spatchcock birds but much smaller.  Think I will definitely go indirect.  What Temp?  Around 350?
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • grege345
    Options
    Lots of great ways to do it here. The way I do it fwiw. I place turkey in a v rack. Put the v rack in a roasting pan filled with vegetablesand potatoes with a little chicken stock. Basically the way you would do it in an oven(but way way better). I use coffee rub because its the best and I use some apple wood for smoke. I'd say spatchcock it but I don't think it will fit. 12lb turkey I have spatched.

• grege345
    Options
    It would only take about 4 hours to cook. Best guess

• hashissmokin
    Options
    I have the same set up with the rack and pan.  Thinking about putting some of the brine in the pan maybe with some potatoes and carrots and onions.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @hashissmoking‌
    I would run 375 on a bird that size for the first hour and then drop temp to 325-350 for the remainder of the cook. Why? The 375 will help set the skin. The 325-350 will prevent scorching it once set. Just how I like to do it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.