Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking & Eggs

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I haven't posted for a while, but I figured I'd share some pictures of some of the items I've baked on my Egg this summer. This as a lead in to some Eggcellent news. In less than two weeks I will be picking up my third large BGE. This will be (wait for it) a dedicated baking Egg. I have found that even though I had two Eggs I was often still having to start early because I was using one Egg for low and slow and the other one needed to share grilling (sides) and baking (rolls and desserts). This Egg will never have wood chips used with it. I will leave one set up for smoking low and slow, one for grilling and this one for indirect baking.  I am getting it for fairly short money since it is a demo Egg, plus my birthday is this month. I already have a nest and side shelves I can use with it. All I need is a cover and I am good to go. I can't wait to welcome the latest addition to my Egg family.

Meanwhile here are some pictures of some things I've baked on my Egg recently and haven't posted:

Grilled Naan:
This was made using a King Arthur Flour recipe. I used the AR with the oval pizza stone, plus the Rig Extender and a BGE round pizza stone. The Rig Extender got me up into the dome area. I cooked them at around 750 degrees and they turned out excellent. 

HOMEMADE FOCACCIA BREAD:
This was the companion recipe to for some Porchetta Sandwiches I made. These were essentially an Italian version of pulled pork using a smoked and highly spiced Boston butt. The recipe for the focaccia was relatively simple but turned out a great tasting bread. I was surprised by the level of flavor.

CAST IRON GINGERBREAD COOKIES:
A giant gingerbread cookie baked in a cast iron pan. The finished cookie was topped with some grilled pineapple slices.

PLUM-POLENTA CAKE:
This delicious dessert was cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Now I have to decided what to make first to break in the new baking Egg. Also I need to decide whether to get another full AR setup like I already have or if I will be able to get by daring some of the pieces. But these are the fun types of "problems" to have.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Everything looks good Jim. Congrats on egg #3.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    damn!  that all looks good
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It all looks good. My wife would kill me if I even mentioned wanting another Egg, of course she hasn't had pizza and anything else baked on it yet. We have been cutting back on curbs until recently and I can't justify another Egg when I have a Weber Smokey Mountain to cook with to that the has right now. If we had a bigger family I could maybe get away with it. I will live vicariously through you folks that can afford the multiple Eggs. I am green egg with envy. :((
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jfm0830
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks guys!

@Ladenback69 I hear you. In my case, the best thing I ever did was convince my wife to go down to EGGtoberfest with me last year. I attended a demo by Dr. BBQ while she wandered the cooking area. She met lots of people and tried lots of great food, all of which she declared excellent. When we met back up, the first thing out of her mouth was: "I get you now". The second thing was she wanted to go to regional Eggfests in New England next (this) summer. So she barely raised an eyebrow, particular with the demo Egg discount and me using birthday bucks to cover most of it. I am happy to say she will be joining me again this year at EGGtoberfest XVII.

Jim
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @jfm0830 congrats. on the new Egg. Your pics are great. But I must thank you for the inspiration to bake on my Egg. I am a good baker, but have not done much since I got my Egg 7 months ago, but now I have the inspiration to do it on my Egg. =D>
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • jfm0830
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @MeTed Thanks for your kind words. If you are looking for some other inspiration here are some other posts where I have baked brads, rolls or deserts on the Egg. It is a great baking tool.

Some of the ones that are dessert you may need to scroll down past whatever the main entry was. Good luck with baking on your Egg.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    And this makes my 100th bookmark! Amazing looking breads! Now that you have a dedicated baker, WE expect even more baking threads! Really though, all of those threads made me drool!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @jfm0830 Awesome posts, thanks for posting. Do the baked goods pick up any flavor from the Egg, or should I dedicate a new one to baking,like you did. A new Egg is coming soon anyway.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Nice job.   Love all of these.  Naan is great and I can only imagine what the homemade stuff tastes like.  Finally, that's one big bucket of flour!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks again @MeTed

I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior which I like because it tends to be smoke neutral. I get to choose whether I want to add smoke flavor or not. With two Eggs, I had one Egg I used for all of the baking, and as much as possible just regular grilling with no smoking wood added. I just needed to watch out if I had used wood chips or woods chunks for the previous cook on the baking Egg. I would sometimes empty out the charcoal if I was worried about any leftover wood mixed in with the charcoal. I would save this charcoal for reuse on the other Egg. The other Egg was for low and slow or smoke roasting where I used wood chips or chunks regularly.

So my advice would be to use a smoke neutral charcoal and try to keep the majority of the cooks using wood chips/chunks to the other Egg.

Jim
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Seattle, WA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Nice! I would love one of those gingerbread cookies right about now. =P~
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very nice cooks. Next egg will be for baking only