Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Sunday On Saturday - Crown Roast of Lamb

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
At the last minute some scheduling conflicts came up where my family could not all get together on the same time if we ate together on Sunday. Noon Saturday worked for everyone and so it was. The bill of fare was a crown roast of lamb based on an Aalton Brown recipe. Twice Baked (& smoked) Sweet Potatoes from a Cook's Country recipe and some biscuits hailing from South Carolina called Angel Biscuits from a recipe from America's Test Kitchens Homegrown Favorites. The Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes had the advantage of being able to be made ahead for a good chunk of the recipe. The pictures will start on Friday:

FRIDAY:

The sweet potatoes were microwaved until soft.

The sweet potatoes were halved and the pulp was scooped out. Two shells were discarded & 6 got used going forward.

The 6 shells were cooked in the oven for 10 minutes until the skins were dry and crisp.

Meanwhile the pulp was run through a food mill.

The milled sweet potatoes were combined with egg, butter & parmesan cheese & salt.

The filling went back into the sweet potato shells. At this point the filled potatoes were covered and refrigerated overnight.

The topping was started next. 4 strips of bacon were diced up into 1/2" x 1/2" pieces and browned.

The bacon was removed from the pan and some of the bacon grease was reserved. The bacon, bacon fat, some diced bread chunks, pepper & thyme were combined to make the topping.

the topping was covered and kept at room temperature overnight.

SATURDAY MORNING:

The Angel Biscuits used: All-purpose flour, buttermilk, instant yeast, salt, sugar, Crisco, baking soda and baking powder.

The dough is turned out, kneaded, and rolled out to a 1/2" thickness disc.

The dough was cut into 2 1/2" rounds with a cookie cutter, creased with a ruler in the middle and folded over in half.

The formed rolls were put in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes where they rose to 2x their original height.

The rolls cooked on the Egg at 350 for 20 minutes. I used the AR set up for indirect with the oval pizza stone. Midway through I swapped the two trays vertically and rotated them 180 degrees.

The rolls were brushed with butter. They smelled wonderful and crackled when the butter went on.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• jfm0830
    edited April 2014
    Options

Time to start the lamb. The rub for the lamb used: Ground coriander, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh thyme.

The 3-rack crown roast has been rubbed.It is off to my second Egg which has been preheated to 375 and some Jack Daniels oak wood chips were used for smoke.

The filled Sweet Potatoes are back out of the fridge and are ready to receive the topping and some parmesan cheese.

The rack of lamb is done after cooking for 45 minutes at 375 indirect. It was taken to an internal temperature of 130 degrees. It will go inside and cool for 20 minutes.

The topped sweet potatoes are finished cooking after 35 minutes at 325 degrees.

Time to eat!! The lamb was filled with some Spring veggies.

The Sweet Potatoes were amazing, people liked them as much as the lamb.

The rolls were amazing. They had wonderful buttery flavor and a light texture.

This was an amazing meal!!. Every single aspect of it went like clockwork. Everyone loved the food and said they weren't sure which item they liked better. Dsys like this make up for the days when you have problems. Every one enjoyed the time spent with family, remembered the day and shared a good meal. That is what it is all about.

Jim
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Amazing cook Jim!  Lamb and everything else looks phenomenal.  Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into these posts.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Whoa. That all looks amazing.
    NOLA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks incredible Jim. Why the bone down part? I'm sure there is a good reason but I have been drinking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jfm0830
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks for looking and commenting guys!

@JohnInCarolina‌ thank you as always for your encouraging words about my posts.

@Little Steven the recipe for the pork crown roast I did at Christmas suggested doing this. Instead of being nestled down in the bottom of the pan with all of veggies and everything else, by inverting it you get better airflow which helps cook the center evenly. I decided to do this on this roast to help keep the herb paste up out of that the dripping fat. Also it raised higher than the level of the sides of my cast-iron pan, which allowed the air to circulate more freely. All I know is the roast cooked very evenly, and doing it this way certainly didn't hurt.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Another outstanding cook and post!!!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  Great all around cook.
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Impressive! I'm speechless. Nice job
    Chester, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm not worthy...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Happy freaking easter. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MGBBob80
    MGBBob80 Posts: 20
    Options
    That looks absolutely incredible - not to mention delicious!  Cheers, Bob 
    I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Wow!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Amazing, absolutely amazing. Great post. Thanks Jim. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks again guys for all of your kind words. I can be a real fussy guy when it comes to my cooks But I can honestly say I can't think of anything I would change about this one. I hope all of you have great success with your Easter endeavors and get to share a wonderful meal with your families. Start your Eggs!!.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jfm0830‌
    Your food looks outstanding! Your photos are incredible as well. Sir that cooking the rack inverted is a great idea and I thank you for sharing it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    What more can be said...I love the attention to detail..Awesome !!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jfm0830
    Options
    @SGH
    Thank you sir for your kind remarks. I have to thank the folks at America's Test Kitchens for the idea of inverting the rack. At Christmas time I made their recipe for a pork crown roast, I just adapted the idea to this rack of lamb. In case you were thinking of it for a pork crown roast, there was more involved than I did here. They had you cook the pork bones down at 475 until you reached 110 degrees internal and then flip the roast and finish it off at 350 until you reached 140 degrees internal. The crown roast was cooked so evenly at Christmas it seemed like the thing to try here. I could see no downside to the experiment here.