Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza & Platesetter. Is it science or preference?

Options
aznative75
aznative75 Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I've spent so much time the past several days reading all your posts about pizza that I'm pretty sure I'll need to polish up my resume when they realize I haven't done much work this week.

I get that the goal is to get the pizza high into the dome and everyone has their own way of doing that. But I did notice a common theme in that platesetter/deflector is usually legs down (at gasket level)( with some type of riser for the pizza stone on top.

Is there any reason/science/thoughts on whether you put the indirect piece/deflector low (at the fire ring level) or high (at the gasket level) when cooking pizza? With all other things being equal, does it really matter?

And while on the topic of pizza, let me ask this. For my first few attempts, am I better off going to a Papa Murphy's and experimenting with temperature/configuration before I start dealing with the dynamics of making of my own dough?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Plate setter low, heat is not deflected right at the gasket, leading to a gasket burnout. Plate setter high, you can load more lump to facilitate longer burn times for extended pizza cooks. I dunno, just made that up.  8-}
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    What he said. Both cook fine, one may burn gasket out more quickly. I always used to do legs down because it was easy to just put spacers on top of that and then pizza stone. I'm now the proud owner of a Rutland gasket.
  • aznative75
    Options
    In theory, I could McGruber the setup like this. Platesetter legs up and some bricks to elevate the stone into the dome.

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I can't speak for platesetter legs as I don't own one. As for the dough if you are a member at Sams you can buy dough from them. Some of them sell it as individual dough balls. Mine only sells it frozen and by the case but I don't have a problem buying it that way. It comes individually packaged. They sell it at the snack bar where they cook pizza. A case is $18 tax and all. IMO it is good enough that I won't try and make my own.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm not looking to 'hijack' this post ... but, does anyone have any advice on prebaked pizzas you get from the market. So far, the 3 I've done have not turned out very good.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I wish that I could help but pizza is my unicorn. I can't cook one to save my life. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• aznative75
    Options
    Good to know SGH. Don't be offended if I don't want you on my team when the zombie apocalypse hits.  :)
  • SGH
    Options
    You may want to reconsider that. I may not can cook pizza but I'm very heavily armed. Very heavily. I would be most useful in the event of a zombie attack my friend!!!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• aznative75
    aznative75 Posts: 16
    edited August 2014
    Options
    In all fairness, after reading through these forums and seeing what everyone can do with their eggs, I would want all of you on my team!   All those ash tools may come in handy!  8-X
  • SGH
    Options
    I 100% agree my friend.^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    I've only cooked pies with store-made dough so far.  We get ours from Trader Joes or Harris Teeter.  This is more out of laziness on my part than anything else.  They come in little bags and you still have to shape it into the pie, but IMO the pizzas are very good.  

One thing to keep in mind if you go this route - the dough really isn't meant to be cooked at the super-high temps some of the folks around here use.  The store-bought stuff typically has sugar in it, which will burn if you get the temps much above 550 or so.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    If I have time I make my own (day off) . If I'm pushed for time (work day)  I have an Italian market that sells great dough balls fresh for $1.50 each. I guess I have been lucky with my pizzas. I got my Egg back in April and have never had a pizza not turn out. I use plate setter legs up. Three bricks in between the legs, grate on top of that, stone on top of that which puts it right at gasket level. I do have better luck with lower temperatures and longer cook times though over very high heat. I rarely cook a pizza over 450 degrees anymore. 
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

I always did platesetter legs up, then grid, then raised grid with carriage bolts.  Now I have an AR and I use the rig extender to get way up in the dome.  After a few disasters, I can consistently do great pizzas now.

The pizza counter at our local grocery sells dough balls for 99 cents. 
    NOLA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I did the King Arthur recipe from their website the other day. Simple and only a pinch of sugar to proof the yeast. Rolled easy and baked perfectly. Slightly chewy, and slightly crispy. I think I'll be using that recipe again. I liked it better than some of the other ones I've tried. Made two pizzas with the recipe as given. Only change I may try next time is bumping up the flour from 12.75oz to 13oz and so on which each additional batch as the dough was slightly sticky on the peal. 
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @SoCalTim . I've never did a store bought but my first guess would be are you using a higher temperature than the directions recommend to try to get it done faster? The Egg should be no different than the oven on a store bought.
    Dearborn MI
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    First of all I'm lazy! I use Pillsbury thin dough in the tube that just peels and pops open. Cooks at 400, I use a pizza screen cook one side till starts to brown on bottom then flip and sauce and top the browned side back one until done. As for the plate setter it's legs down (large egg), then medium plate setter legs down, pizza stone on top. In the beginning I had some problems with burnt crust and no browning of the cheese, lower temp and higher in the dome works for me. Good Luck :-h

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I buy dough also.  Everyone keeps telling me how easy it is to make, but this always seems to be a mid-week last minute cook for me and time is of the essence!  The rugrats are hungry.

The best is fresh made and most pizza places will sell it to you for $1.50 if you ask them nicely.
    I've also got it in HT and TJ's as mentioned.  My HT has two kinds...a store kind and then another label that is 50 cents more and in the same deli case.  They are both good but the more expensive one is better.  (more elastic, a little chewy, can get a thinner pizza without holes).

I have never had luck buying the whole wheat or flavored doughs.  They don't come up crisp.  Don't taste as good.  Get the white flour variety.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Local pizza place sells dough balls for a large pizza for $1.00, I just roll it out myself. I preheat the stone in the oven while the rest of the egg is heat soaking. I cook legs down, gasket hasn't been an issue since my last replacement with a nomex gasket (High Que). Grate on top of the plate setter as an air gap to decrease conducted heat, stone on top of that. I cook checking the underside of the crust in the center frequently until crisp.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Why use a stone at all? Just make/ buy your dough. Roll out to size. Freeze. Top frozen shell. Egg it.
  • Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Why use a stone at all? Just make/ buy your dough. Roll out to size. Freeze. Top frozen shell. Egg it.

Burns the crust before the toppings are done in my experience.
  • smokinjim
    Options
    Years of experimentation... Full load of charcoal. Plate setter legs down. Three firebricks on top of plate setter with pizza stone on top of bricks. Light fire, let temp get up to 350 or so and add ceramics. 600 degrees temp on egg. It will take about an hour to get all of the ceramics and bricks up to this temp. Pizza takes about three minutes to cook! As far as the dough goes... Go to Tasty Licks BBQ and follow Freds instructions/videos. He has done all of the homework. He sells the Caputo "OO" flours and this is where it all starts! We do pizza once a week and it's pretty damn good. Thanks Fred!
    Jim
    Kensington, MD
    2-XL BGE's, Backwoods Gater
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Maccool said:

hondabbq said:

Burns the crust before the toppings are done in my experience.

Doesn't look burnt to me!!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I don't bother trying to get the pizza up higher into the dome, but I haven't tried it, so maybe it's better.  I just do platesetter legs up, grill, pizza stone.  Temp is 600-650 and cook time is around 10 minutes.  I check it at about 6 minutes to rotate it if it's not cooking evenly.  Like deep fried food or waffles, the first is never the best, but by second pie things are cooking nicely.

I'd just buy some dough the first few cooks and concentrate on learning your setup and cook.  I buy Trader Joe's for $1.25 a ball and make two pizzas.  One less variable to worry about.  As you can see we all have different ways of doing the cook, so figure out what works for you.  Then take pictures and teach us! 

@SGH You lay down some serious stuff, so I wonder if your standards are too high!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I have been making pizza for 42 years, here's my set up on my 2 year old XL and it always comes out great.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I may be odd man out on this, but I have always done my pizza PS legs down with BGE pizza stone sitting directly on the PS.  Although I do recognize the benefit of having some air between the two and have told myself I will probably change the next time I cook pizza.  I heat the Egg up to about 600.  I use the dough recipe in the BGE cookbook - good enough for four personal pizzas.  I have found that the biggest impact on success is amount of toppings.  Do not load up on the sauce, toppings and cheese.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Maccool
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:
    Doesn't look burnt to me!!
    I can only speak from my experience using my equipment and my techniques. Thanks for sharing yours.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

I think it is a preference issue. I go legs down, fire bricks, stone -- I have had success that way so I stick with it.

I use publix dough most of the time for convenience, but making your own dough is easy easy easy

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    Options
    @blind99‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. I hold my own pretty good when it comes to cooking meat. However I speak the truth when I say I can't make a good pizza. I never practiced it until recently. It's just doesn't click like meat does. Nonetheless I'm not giving up. Brother Nola is suppose to give me a hands on tutorial when we do the brisket event in NO. When I get it down I will start posting pics of my pizza. But as of now I would honestly be ashamed to post them after seeing some of the almost art work like pizzas that some folks produce on this forum. Again I thank you for the very kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Legs down, spacer, pizza stone. I use an IR thermometer through the top opening, being the daisy wheel is removed, to check the ceramic temperature before putting the dough on.

Try making bread on the stone. You run it around 400 instead of 650+ for the pizza. And remember, once setup, one pizza is never enough. We usually do 3 in series.

Enjoy. You will not go back to your old ways
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I agree about the Caputo 00 flour.  I've been experimenting lately trying to get the right hydration and I think I'm closing in on perfection at 50%.   
    Since you can get a pizza stone up to 550 or 600, you need more water in the dough than in recipes designed for cooking in an over - they're typically 35% hydration.   
    But there's a tipping point with hydration - if you get to 60% or so, the dough seems too moist to cook quickly in the Egg.   They're not bad at 60% - but they could be better.

So the upshot of this is:  get some good flour, don't make it too wet and start experimenting.  You'll enjoy the ride

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA