Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Bottom Round Roast Reccommendations

Options
NautiRogue
NautiRogue Posts: 118

I did a Beef Bottom Round Roast today, and it was disappointing.  It was dry and tough.

I rubbed it with olive oil, rubbed it with my custom dry rub, and stuffed some crushed garlic cloves in the sides, per the BBQ Pit Boys video.  Cooked it at 350 for 2.5 hours to 130 degrees.  (It was a 5 pound roast.)  Let it rest for an hour while I finished up the rest of the meal.

The taste was there, but the meat was dry and tough.  Any recommendations for improvement?

Comments

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @NautiRogue‌ If I had to guess I would say the cooking temp was to high. I have not done a whole bottom round on my egg but have done well over 1000lbs on a stick burner over the last few years. My normall cooking temp is around 150-175 for 10-12 hours. The other key to bottom round is slicing it thin and across the grain. Going across the grain in bottom round is hard as the grain changes directions a few times. Also I normally cook it to close to 140degrees.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Bottom round can be cooked to acceptable levels but I recommend avoiding it. The end does not justify the means in my opinion. You are better off spending your money on a quality cut of meat. It's named "bottom" for a reason. It's definitely bottom of the barrel in terms of quality in my opinion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited August 2014
    Options

Firemanyz, I'd have to agree with you.  I had seen the BBQ Pit Boys video regarding Bottom Round Roast, and they recommended 325 to 350.  I was planning to do the BGE Twice-Baked Gouda potatoes that were supposed to cook at 400, so I decided to split the temp by doing 350...  Neither of them worked out.  The meat was overdone, dry, and tough, and the potatoes fell apart.  I ended up converting the potatoes to a twice-baked casserole that was really pretty good, but the meat was definitely disappointing. 

Next time, it's Bottom round at 225 dome to 125 internal.