Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pseudo Tandoor

Options
Decided to cook Chicken Tikka last night.  Tried to set up the egg to resemble a tandoor.  Cooked the chicken on skewers at about 550ºF. While the chicken was resting cooked the naan at about 750ºF.
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Very cool. How was the end product? Worth not using a grid?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Family enjoyed it. It definitely is on the do again list.  The coating is very messy and would stick to a grid.  I might cook them horizontal next time. I did put them horizontal for a minute checking out the system to see if it would work.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Definitely very cool cook and it looks great.  That is a good point about not sticking to the grid.  I like the horizontal orientation you have in the last pic.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Cool idea, thanks.

I have seen some cook pictures with the skewers stuck down in the coals like that.  I didn't realize that is tandoor style, but it looks cool.  Seems that the bottom item takes quite a torching though.   I wonder if you can arrange the coals more to the sides and place a small cast iron disk (like the ash grate thing under our lump) in the center of the coals?  Then that shields the potato a bit. 

Cool either way.  I wanted to do a Churasco Brazilian BBQ type of cook some time and it seems that this would work.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Home made naan?

Options
    The potato was there to be the sacrificial shield and was not part of the meal. They were supposed to keep the skewers on the top of the coals. They did a good job of that. Even though they were scorched on the outside, the insides were tasty.  If you look at the finished product picture, you will notice that one of the skewers has a bent tip. It was not that way at the start of the cook.  It was too far down in the coals and got hot enough to start bending.  I think I will cook them horizontal next time. In a tandoor the food gets radiant heat from the oven walls. The egg is too wide to get even heat from the sides. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Yes, homemade naan.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• thegooddocta
    Options
    Ingenious to use the potato like that! Also love the spider / horizontal set up. I'm going to have to try this out.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Fantastic cook ... I too have the Spider for my Large BGE and cooking horizontally on it like you showed will definitely work. I have not tried homemade Naan from scratch and I like the idea of cooking them on either the plate setter or on a pizza stone mounted on the Spider. 

All my tandoori cooking has been on the grate, so this gives me more options to have a char on the meat. Thanks for posting this!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Yes, homemade naan.

Mind sharing the recipe?

Options
    paqman said:
    Yes, homemade naan.
    Mind sharing the recipe?
    x2
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • fljoemon
    Options
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I used a recipe from Tandoor Living website.

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Just a note on the mechanics of the cook.  I had the pizza stone in the egg during warm up.  When everything was nice and hot, removed the stone and cooked the chicken (takes 10-15 minutes). Put the stone back in the egg to get back to temp while keeping the chicken warm. Cooked the naan at the last minute before sitting down for dinner. Naan is best right off the grill.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• fljoemon
    Options
    Did you baste the chicken pieces with butter or ghee during the cook to keep it moist?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Chicken was in a yogurt based marinade for a day. You can see it on the first picture.  It is very messy and will stick like crazy to a grill. Definitely need to use skewers when cooking. The marinade recipe was from HomeTandoor.com:

Southeast Florida - LBGE

• pescadorzih
    Options
    I made Tandoor chicken , years ago on my gasser and the yogurt marinade did make a mess. It turned out delicious. I just never made it since. i want to try it in the egg. Thanks for posting your technique.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Do you think you could set up the egg to do this kind of naan cooking?

Ahhh...why do I ask before I search?  Caught  myself this time.  Here's a great blog post about using the egg as a tandoor.  (in the comments they say you can't use it to stick the bread to the sides like the pic above.

image  image

Here's an older thread about naan on the egg.  Not on the sides, though.  I'm good with that!  No need to be THAT pure that it's on the sides.  Still looks pretty great on the stone and I'm sure 99% of folks would appreciate it just like that.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I don't think sticking naan to the sides of an egg would work too well - not enough vertical surface to use.  A pizza stone or plate setter works great - same thing as the walls of a tandoor - high temp conduction heating.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice looking cook.  Instead of the potato to hold the meat I use half of a lemon or lime at each end.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Awesome idea! Your set-up looked perfect for the cook. Nice pics too. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I sacrificed an old pasta strainer and ground out a couple of holes for the skewers. Like you  I use the potato to hold the chicken up. I have one egg that I would stick bread on the sides but none of the others. Great looking cook!

Steve 

Caledon, ON