Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock? I don't think so

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
So, it's Tuesday. The wife has a late day at work and I want to wow her and the rest of the family. I've never deboned and stuffed a chicken. So, here goes nothing. Started with a fresh roaster close to 8#. Now what should I stuff it with? I deboned, S&P & then went with some pepper jack cheese, diced baby carrots, cauliflower and broccoli for stuffing. Egg set-up was indirect 375℉. I will say this...it ain't nothing for me to do a lollipop now. ;)

Deboned

Laying out the stuffing.
imageimage

Stuffed and Galantine.
imageimageimageimage

Entertainment :))
Wally World for this electrifying fun and Walgreens for a "chewable" frisbee
imageimage

Cored & sliced apple variety with cinnamon and stevia.

Pulled the chicken at 160℉ IT to allow for some carry over cooking to occur. And let the apple's go until slightly soft.
imageimage

Sliced & plated (lollipops what lollipops :-P). The skin was crisp & cracklin'.
imageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I like the idea of stuffing with vegetables. How was it? Did you blanch them before stuffing or where they raw?

Bravo! =D>

I tried one of these today for the first time as well and failed miserably. I'll be giving it another go at some point this week though, it's way too impressive looking a dish to not have in the arsenal.

Two questions. How did the stuffing turn out and what was the best way you found to get the IT of the meat without getting the temp of the stuffing?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @paqman‌ Very little conversation at the dining table. Just nods and thumbs up. Veggies were laid a top of the sliced pepper jack cheese and then one layer of pepper jack on top. Raw veggies.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • paqman
    edited August 2014
    Options

Options
    @ChillyWillis‌ Thank You! The stuffing was incredibly moist and I took the IT in the thigh area. No bones so that's the thickest part. It was a guess on my part (theory if you will). I figured if the thigh meat was at 160℉ish I'd be ok. It worked out well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • paqman
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌ - Safe internal stuffing temp is 165F. The chicken temp will be much higher than the stuffing. Today, mine was ranging from 170 to 185F.

Options
    Agree @paqman‌ also keep in mind pulling at 160℉ is fine as it is going to continue to rise another at least 5° due to carry over cooking.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Brother husker steps to the plate in the bottom of the ninth and hits a grand slam home run! Husker wins! Excellent documentation and pics. Phenomenal cook my friend. This one easily earns the SGH seal of approval. Outstanding sir! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH‌ :\"> Thanks man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You earned and deserve that one brother husker. That cook is par excellent by any standard or measure my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You had me at Apples!! :x

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Excellent. :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Just curious. How did the cauliflower blend taste wise being cooked internal with the chicken? I have had it turn bitter on me before. Your thoughts?

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks @stemc33‌ B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Question above brother husker.^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

@NPHuskerFL‌
    Just curious. How did the cauliflower blend taste wise being cooked internal with the chicken? I have had it turn bitter on me before. Your thoughts?

No bitterness. I chopped the veggies with a slap chopper so they were between I would say chopped & diced with no real prefect consistency in cut just due the nature of the tool used. Maybe the combination of veggie, cheese and S&P kept the flavor. Not sure. It really had a pleasant flavor, texture and very moist throughout with a crispy skin.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I love it. But I have messed up before and turned it bitter some how. Not sure where I went wrong. Glad you nailed it!

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    That looks wonderful! Might even persuade me to try cauliflower again! Lol, who am I kidding - I do NOT possess the talent to debone a chicken. :) Kudos. =D>
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Way to bring it Husk! Everything looks great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌. ..dude that rocks. Freaking sweet.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I want to make this. Nice cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great pics and cook.
    Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

That looks wonderful! Might even persuade me to try cauliflower again! Lol, who am I kidding - I do NOT possess the talent to debone a chicken. :) Kudos. =D>

Thank you. Take your time and I promise you can do it. And this definitely took me time. But, my thought is that if I do enough of them it won't be so hard.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Livinloud5
    Options
    Awesome cook man! I will be attempting this soon.

Blake.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    one upper....
    :))
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    that looks fantastic!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL

After trying this - any other veg you think would work well?  Happy to see the pepper jack, I love pepper jack and stuffing with cream cheese stuff seems to be getting a bit tired.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking cook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA