Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire starters

Options
somewhere on here there was a discussion on fire starters and someone said they used paper towel soaked in cooking oil.  another, the same with bacon grease.   so, my question is:  Is it possible to just squirt a little cooking oil on the lump to use as a starter?  thanks in advance.

Comments

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Harbor Freight 1500 watt electric heat gun .Under $20.00 with the freight . Fire in 30 seconds.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited August 2014
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to start the fire. Crushed up potato chips work as well as starter cubes. Some are better than others. My issue with the starter cubes is if you close the lid too soon, you get a lot of bad smelling smoke. Never tried oil direct on the lump, but many are successful with alcohol sprayed on the lump then lit. I've used and abandoned starter cubes and the electric starter. I'm currently using the oil soaked paper towels, prepared ahead of time in a Tupperware container. There are a lot of Mapp torch users here as well. Many ways to go.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use the Rutland brand fire starters. They can be purchased at any Tractor Supply Store. It's 144 of then in a box for 9.99. I break them in half so if my math is accurate that's 288 fires I can start for less than 10.00 dollars. They burn pretty clean. I really like them. As a back up I have a 3 million BTU weed burner standing at the ready on deck at all times just in case I'm in a rush.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I use a chimney starter and have a small pump thing in the kitchen for spritzing oil and I just use that to quickly blast a paper towel to light the chimney.  I usually just light it, lid down, vents open and walk away for 5 minutes tops and it's roaring when I come back.  Never takes long.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Brush burner. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I use Rutland starters as well. I didn't know you could get them at Tractor Supply though. I've been getting ripped off at Amazon. Thanks for the tip @SGH‌.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Hokie_Smoker‌
    You are more than welcome my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @victor1‌ , This always starts a good little debate about lighting methods when the topic comes up. Your actual question will get lost in the mess of traffic about preferred lighting methods and how somebody's method is better than the next guys.

As far as lighting lump with oil squirted directly on it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I just don't think it would take off compared to a paper towel. The paper towel soaked in oil acts like a wick in a candle and let's the paper towel burn slower and longer than just the paper towel it's self.

I kind of look at it like using a tire to start a brush fire. The tire burns great, but your not gonna start it on fire by holding just a lighter to it. Actually, a better example might be looking at how a fire started with small kindling is easier than trying to hold a match to log. Even if you were to use an accelerant such as gasoline. The kindling will take off, the log may not take off it the accelerant burns off too quickly.

Now to fuel the fire of this thread, I must advise on the best method of lighting the egg. Well, maybe I won't feed the animal. Seriously though, if you get lump to light with just oil, let's us know so people can quit wasting money on paper towels.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have been using a hybrid method that seems to work well.  I fill my chimney with however much coal I want to have burning at the start of the cook, less for low and slow more for searing. I light a Rutland starter and place it on the charcoal grid in the Egg and put the chimney on top of the burning starter cube.  Usually have good fire base in about ten minutes.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Looflighter?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Has anyone tried the Looflighter?

I have the Looftlighter and it works well.  I have been happy with it.

I expect the heat gun from harbor freight cited above is basically the same thing for about a quarter of the price.
    NOLA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Say hello to my little friend....makes the mini a little hard to find though

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I used to use starter cubes. I then switched to an oil soaked paper towel. I then switched to rubbing alcohol. 

Now I am using a heat gun. At the moment I like the heat gun the best. It is the easiest and the fastest. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

I was a starter cube guy then moved to oil soaked paper towel and that's where I reside now. 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    I am using my starter cubes right now. God only know what I will switch to next :)

• bcsnave
    Options
    I used to use starter cubes. I then switched to an oil soaked paper towel. I then switched to rubbing alcohol. 

Now I am using a heat gun. At the moment I like the heat gun the best. It is the easiest and the fastest. 
    yeah..but I'm a gas guy

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• bcsnave
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    Say hello to my little friend....makes the mini a little hard to find though

did I say...I like gas

Glenbeulah, WI

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @bcsnave You are indeed a gas guy.  :-\"

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Thanks John...lol

Glenbeulah, WI