Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy dinner and announcement

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Dinner at my inlaws tonight! :) Made some pulled pork, sausage, beans and slaw. So awesome that you can feed 10 adults and 4 children off a $23 Boston Butt. Much cheaper and easier than our traditional steak night. We will call this a baby workout for the small.

photo IMG_20140809_091701_zpspy5ak6qk.jpg

photo IMG_20140809_091834_zpscxxl80ov.jpg

photo IMG_20140809_091956_zpsrwb1zjp5.jpg

photo IMG_20140809_092019_zpsvrj6fa0l.jpg

And the announcement we made via text to the family during dinner. :D

photo IMG_20140809_075810_zpsivpuu3sw.jpg
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Awesome cook, and good for you both, congrats.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And the food looks great too!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! The sausage looks great. What type was it?
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Congrats! And meal looks excellent too.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

Congratulations!!!! The sausage looks great. What type was it?

It's from a place in Beeville called Elder's Country Store & Market. It's their own recipe that they smoke in house.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You turn the simple stuff look like serious gourmet chit.  

Contrats to you and your bride on the new addition. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations. The food looks par excellent.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options

You turn the simple stuff look like serious gourmet chit.  

Contrats to you and your bride on the new addition. 
    Hah...thanks for the compliment man. Love that movie!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Congrats caz, and good lookin' grub.  Smalls can crank it out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Three eggs and a mini max on the way?!? Jk, congrats! How do ya make your slaw? Care to share?
    NW IOWA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Appreciate the congrats fellas. We're pretty happy. Looks like we will have a lot more to look forward to in Katy. :D
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Cheers to you and yours sir!
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Food looks great. Wish I would have thought of combining smoked sausage and pulled pork on a sandwich. So you guys are going to have another,,, safety pin??? Anyways, Congratulations!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Congrats!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking sammich! Congrats on the future addition!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Philly35 said:

Three eggs and a mini max on the way?!? Jk, congrats! How do ya make your slaw? Care to share?

Thanks!

First time I've ever made slaw. It was a combination of 2 recipes I found on the net. I split the pepper with white and black pepper, but I kept it pretty simple.

Red and green cabbage. Shred and try to use equal parts.

Mix the following in a separate bowl:
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons EVOO
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine both, toss, then refridgerate for a lil bit. Toss again before serving.

I thought it was pretty good for a first attempt. Was very good on my sandwich.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks great crazy. Congrats on the new addition!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Great cook - and my condolences. Although with a lot of effort, in 17 years you can get to where I am. I'm told that I'm no longer a necessary component of great grilled food as my son does it at least as well as I do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Congrats, I'm done at 3, LOL
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Great cook - and my condolences. Although with a lot of effort, in 17 years you can get to where I am. I'm told that I'm no longer a necessary component of great grilled food as my son does it at least as well as I do.

I hope my son takes an interest in grilling (or cooking). If he does, he will be a freaking boss!!! ;)
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @cazzy That is very similar to my slaw recipe. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Did you add sugar and salt to the cabbage then rinse it off before adding the other ingredients? If not, you should try it. The slaw will still be crunchy a week later.
    NW IOWA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Philly35 said:

@cazzy That is very similar to my slaw recipe. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Did you add sugar and salt to the cabbage then rinse it off before adding the other ingredients? If not, you should try it. The slaw will still be crunchy a week later.

I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip!!
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!  And the food looks great!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm not even going to read whole thread because I'm just so happy for you! Congratulations! As a mom, teacher, and a human...you just won for best post ever. :))
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm happy for yall...you ready to be a father at 15 years old? image
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Options
    henapple said:

I'm happy for yall...you ready to be a father at 15 years old?

Yes Tony...my balls have barely dropped but they're definitely not broken. :P
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Congrats on the new addition
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I hope my son takes an interest in grilling (or cooking). If he does, he will be a freaking boss!!! ;)

No doubt.  Just recognize that kids don't typically take an interest in grilling - but they sometimes take an interest in "fire".  Your journey will be very different from mine.  You're already an expert.  My son and I took the journey together.  I'm definitely drawn to this sort of stuff, but with my busy work schedule, I have to spend any spare time I have trying to make it high quality family time.  If my son weren't interested in it, we would have spent our time doing something else that was of interest to him. 

Hopefully, your offspring will take more interest in grilling than mine did in basketball (that's what I envisioned us doing when I was at your stage)...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Foghorn‌. ..I can see your son cooking you under the table.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    cazzy said:

No doubt.  Just recognize that kids don't typically take an interest in grilling - but they sometimes take an interest in "fire".  Your journey will be very different from mine.  You're already an expert.  My son and I took the journey together.  I'm definitely drawn to this sort of stuff, but with my busy work schedule, I have to spend any spare time I have trying to make it high quality family time.  If my son weren't interested in it, we would have spent our time doing something else that was of interest to him. 

Hopefully, your offspring will take more interest in grilling than mine did in basketball (that's what I envisioned us doing when I was at your stage)...

My wife and I played softball/baseball throughout our childhood and played slow pitch softball as adults. We both hope the lil ones take an interest in sports, but especially ball because of our connection. 

From a cooking standpoint, I learned from my mom, so I hope they grow to love feeding their families too. I'm enjoying every moment cause I know it goes so fast! :)