Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lowering temp question

Options
Will opening the cover to check or pull food off the grill increase the temp?  Thinking the surge of oxygen will bring the temp up.  Is there a good way of lowering the temp faster then just closing the vents?  Probably not would be my guess.  Waiting right now to get to about 230 from 375 or so.  Seems to take a long time, but probably correct?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Kind of depends if it is spiked to 375 or settled in to 375.  If you were settled in at 235 and opened it for just a bit to manipulate food or change things around a bit it may have gone to 375 but isn't settled there because the ceramics didn't heat up that high, just the air inside the cooker.  This will cool down quickly.

If you were settled in at 375 and the guts are all at 375 as a result it will take a long chink to drop to 230.

And there is no way other than decreasing air flow to lower the temp.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Closing the vents more is the way to do it.  Don't completely shut them though, I've had fires go out doing that.  It take a little while when you overshoot because all that ceramic is heated up already.

If you don't open the cover too long, after you close the lid it will go right back to the temp you had it.  Assuming you had already established a steady temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You need to catch it on the way up. Takes a long time to bring temp down and the longer it's been above target (and the higher you let it get), the longer it will take to bring it down. Opening the dome won't matter unless you leave it open for a while.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you don't have the plate setter in, you could put it in quickly and close the vents to a 1/4" on the bottom and an 1/8" on the top. The plate setter will bring the temp down tell it warms up to what you want. If then not nreed you could pull out to cook. It acts as a heat sink.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The beauty of the egg is that it retains heat so well, with very little air flow. The problem with the egg is that it retains heat so well, with very little air flow.

Ther is no fast way to cool an egg, as noted above, closing the vents to about 1/8" and dropping in a setter or pan of water will help to cool it a bit.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!