Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks, corn, collards

Options
Had a wonderful rib eye, fresh silver queen corn, and great collard greens tonight. Used the cast iron plate setter. Had a wonderful dinner. I love my cast iron plate setter.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Excellent cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I grew up a yankee...we don't do greens. I'm trying to learn about them...care to share how you cooked them?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    Collards are easy. Some sort of smoked pork meat. Like ham hock. Red pepper, sugar, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar. The key is to remove the stems. If not they will never get tender
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is my kind of meal! Love me some greens.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Many ways to do greens.  

Mom always rips leaves from stems and chops the leaves in pieces to eat.  She par boils first.  She says this takes the tang out of them.  Then drains that water, and finishes them.  

Then finish one or two ways: 

1 - Finish boiling, add fat back, salt and pepper.  Serve enjoy.  

2 - Fry some hog jowl and fry the collards in the hog jowl grease.  Add salt, pepper, little apple cider vinegar and you're golden.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site