Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rub test with chicken, and an ash basket.

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
Finally stopped at Academy and got a bottle of Bad Byron's and Plowboys Yardbird. Had a craving for good bbq chicken after Sundays disappointment.

Also got the Ash Basket today. Pretty neat idea, and I love supporting new business ideas like this. His warranty reads, "30 day unconditional guarantee, unless you run it over with your truck" He must know me. imageimage

Did some fries and corn from the inlaws garden. Definitely not Publix--Fries were seasoned with bayouish, as the swamp venom ran out-- didn't matter as nothing would've helped these potatoes. Grilled corn has become my new favorite, just not this corn. Blagh. image

All was sauced with Sweet Baby Rays and butter. Plowboys won this round. I really figured I wouldn't be able to tell after the sauce but damn, I could.

Round two Sunday with ribs....
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. How did you like the BBR?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options

Love the Yardbird rub. Its got a good kick to it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    edited July 2014
    Options
    SGH said:

Really not at all. Hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try again with ribs. That is if I'm not busy eating crow.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Really not at all. Hopefully Sunday I'll be able to try again with ribs. That is if I'm not busy eating crow.
    I tried Bad Byrons with ribs...once. Won't waste my time with it again.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Good looking cook! I also purchased some Plowboys at Academy on Saturday. 

I have been using Bad Bryons on chicken, but I wanted to try something different. Looks like I will be happy with Plowboys. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    Options
    How do you like the ash basket?

• Jeremiah
    Options
    caliking said:

How do you like the ash basket?

Don't really know yet as I haven't went back to it to cook again. What was neat was the basket created a gap between the lump and the holes that seem to constantly get clogged.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I never cared for the Bad Byron's..

Started using Jim's Own Sauce Smokey rub for most stuff these days and really like it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Irv
    Irv Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey Jeremiah.....Thanks a ton for supporting and promoting our little Kick Ash Basket adventure!  Can't wait to hear how you like Shaking Your Ash and Lighting Your Fire! I'd say post a picture but this is a family show.  :)
    Have a Kick Ash Weekend!
    Chad and the Kick Ash Team
    www.kickashbasket.com
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ awesome post! Thinking of the Kick Ash Bucket myself. The warranty»»» hilarious! Must know me too :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Try the black cap Plowboy's sometime. its got more in it and is great on pork or beef. I also like 3 Little Pig's, rubs and sauces.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    So far I really like the basket! Thanks husker, and I'll try the black cap. \m/
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    So far I really like the basket! Thanks husker, and I'll try the black cap. \m/

Please keep us updated on how you like it, looks like a very good idea

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    nice looking pics Jeremiah

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Those are some awesome looking wings. I'll have to checkout the plowboys myself. The kick ash bucket, nice idea for the lump.
  • caliking
    Options
    Try the black cap Plowboy's sometime. its got more in it and is great on pork or beef. I also like 3 Little Pig's, rubs and sauces.
    Do you mean their Bovine Bold rub? Its pretty good, if that's the one you're referencing. Their jerk rub is also good - its probably SWMBO's favorite bbq spice rub. 

@Jeremiah - i'm considering buying that ash basket. Do you think its deep enough? I usually fill nearly to the top of the fire ring, that way I'm good on lump for a few cooks. Do you find that it was worth the cost, compared to what your previous practice for ash removal/ lighting your egg was? 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,066
    Options
    Nice lookin chicken! I know whatcha mean about the bad byrons. Way too salty IMHO.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @caliking I think you'd be fine, but I don't usually keep that much lump in my egg. I've found the biggest benefit being I can (gingerly) take the whole basket out and shake it outside the egg, thus keeping most ash out of the bottom.
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    @caliking‌ I have been using the ash basket for a couple of months now. The best part about it is the holes on the side of the firebox doesn't get clogged anymore. I feel mine up above the basket but after a couple of cooks or one long cook it's down enough to fit in the basket.
    Lexington TN
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Does that Kick ash basket sit on top of the fire grate or do you remove it and sit it in the bottom?
    Will it hold enough lump to do a 15-18 hr low n slow?
    I have been thinking about getting one and also the smokeware chimney cap

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    Mine sits on top of the fire grate and it comes up to the top of the fire box. When I do a low and slow I just overfill it all the way to the top of the fire ring. When the cook is over the all the leftover charcoal is in the basket. Next time I use the egg I pick it up by the handles shake then set it to the side. Lift out the fire grate and rake out all the ashes out. Then just set the fire grate and the ash basket back in fill back up with new charcoal then your ready to cook.
    Lexington TN