Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Cobbler ?

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Should I get the DO up to temperature, or put the ingredients in while it's cool?

The only reason I ask is because I'm currently seasoning a new 12" Lodge.

I'm assuming patience is the answer, but curious in others opinions.
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd get it up to temp before adding Cobbler. May even want to melt a stick of butter in there as its coming up to temp. =P~

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    We always put mine in cold just because that's the way my mom taught us while camping.  We use a #12 Lodge for our cobblers too.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @NibbleMeThis‌ Do you use a can of Sprite? I've read a few recipes that call for the soda...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My recipe has you melting a stick of butter, then adding the fruit mixture, then pouring the batter in.  I have done it in my 5 QT lodge DO.  Let me know if you need a recipe.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌
    My recipe:
    (2) 30 oz cans peaches
    (1) yellow cake mix
    (1) 12 oz Sprite

Add peaches.
    Add cake mix.
    Add Sprite, don't mix/stir.

I'm thinking of adding butter before the peaches and brown sugar/cinnamon for topping...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I melt the butter in the CI and put batter etc in and CI goes in cold. Just the way Grandma did it. And Grandma knew best :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RedSkip
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I put it in preheated...image
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Cookinbob‌ My recipe: (2) 30 oz cans peaches (1) yellow cake mix (1) 12 oz Sprite Add peaches. Add cake mix. Add Sprite, don't mix/stir. I'm thinking of adding butter before the peaches and brown sugar/cinnamon for topping...
    Interesting recipe, maybe no butter!  Tell us how it turns out.  I like my recipe, but am ready to branch out and try some other approaches!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Cookinbob  Here it is, I had to take the photo in the dish.  image
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA