Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Menu management

Options
I tend to buy a lot of bulk protein whether it be from Sams or RD and then it goes into my large vertical deep freezer. Tomorrow being Friday I've pulled a bunch to line up for Fri, Sat and possibly Sun cooks. Defrosting in two different refrigerators (ours and my Moms next door). Do y'all do this as well or just buy as ya go?
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I kind of take both routes. Buy more fresh than frozen though. Just more convenient to me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Look at this monster just waiting to be hung on hooks!!! It beacons to me.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I like steaks and chops fresh, i.e. not frozen. Roasts, butts,ribs and poultry are OK frozen, IMHO

I do vac pack all meats to be frozen. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ 99% of the stuff I buy vac pkg goes freezer to cooler to dft & has no effect on texture and such.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I always want to buy in bulk and freeze, but anything that I put in my freezer never comes out :( I end up tossing it after a year when it's all freezer burned.
    Aurora,OH
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I tend to buy in bulk, but right now my freezer is so full you couldn't cram a thing in there. Dug around in it last night and found a bunch of venison I had forgotten about. Pulled out to grind into sausage this weekend. I need to get a deep freezer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I typically buy fresh, but if I find a good deal I will stock up.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    edited July 2014
    Options
    The majority of time I will buy big cuts (packers) in bulk as their availability is hit or miss, then freeze.  Will also buy in bulk when the occasional deep-discount sale comes along for beef roasts, pork butts etc.  The trick then becomes remembering to start the defrost process soon enough to enjoy on the weekend.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    @SGH, is that a baby cow?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I buy in bulk, vac seal it in individual or 2 packs and freeze all but the next 2 days worth of food. Then each night I pull out a single protein as I cook one. So there is always 2 ready to egg foods in my fridge. That way I feel like I have a choice every night!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you mean in bulk as a 1/2 a beef every year.  Yes, I buy in bulk.  SWMBO watches Safeway and Main Street Market ads like a hawk for pork and other deals.  We have 3 deep freezers plus the main fridge, so I have room.  Although with those 10 chickens coming, room might get tight.

Taking a guess @SGH, is that a clod?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    If it's a great price I'll stock up otherwise it's pretty much buy as I go.

LBGE

BTFU!

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'm pretty opportunistic too. If I see a good deal on something, I'll buy in bulk. Otherwise I buy whatever we are in the mood for or looks especially good that day.  

Then about ever 6 months I go on a freezer purge and start pulling stuff out just to rotate the freezer stock.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC