Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

Options
Have read a lot of posts about doing burgers on a baking steel, cast iron pan, etc....  I tried last week in a cast iron pan sitting on the main grid at 600 degrees and the burger never did develop any crust.  Am i doing something wrong?  

How are you guys doing these?  Raised direct? Main grate? What temp?

Thanks.
XL BGE

Comments

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    I did some last night. Raised direct with cast iron grid. Preheated egg to 500 and put patties directly on grate. Cooked to 140 . Were perfect with nice crust.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did you preheat the pan?
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    +1 ^^^

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Yes I did. Perhaps not good enough. Ha! Tonight I tried out my lodge griddle. Put it on right when I shut the lid, raised. When it hit 600 put burgers on and about 3-4 minutes a side, great crust! That must have been the problem.
    XL BGE
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    This my first post, but I have been reading this forum for about four months now.

I have done 87 cooks so far and 85 were great. The first one was baby back ribs 321 method and I did not like the fall off the bone mushy texture. The other was a whole packer brisket, I need some practice on that. But all other cooks were great, spatchcock  chicken, Ribs with no foil, overnight pork butt for pulled pork, Pig candy,ring bologna, rib eye steaks and more that I can`t remember. I would like to thank everyone on here for the advice to help make all the cooks great. I do not have a camera that I can post on the internet with,but I am going to get one and learn how to use it, so that is why no posts. Again Thank You and party on!

Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Sorry, something got mixed up here I am sorry but I am so stupid when it comes to computers. I wanted to start a new discussion but messed up.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Welcome.

85 for 87 sounds pretty good. 

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MeTed‌
    No need to be sorry my friend. Stuff happens. 85 for 87. I would say that is a overwhelming success without question or doubt. Carry on cooking!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.